AR15 - Expensive Therapy

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

AR15 - Expensive Therapy

Post by richstrat »

OK, build time approaches, so I thought I'd start up a thread.

Plywood arrived yesterday - a real mix of sizes, I'm not following the BOM at all!

I'm building the hull skin in 4mm Okoume , decks, seats and soles in 6mm Okoume I managed to source the 10x5's for the cockpit, so less butt joining!

It all looks really good stuff, and I got the whole lot delivered to my door for £312 (7 off 8x4 4mm, 1 off 8x4 & 2 off 10x5 6mm & 4 off 8x4 9mm, all BS1088, Lloyds register Okoume),

I spent most of last night with sheets of ply on the dining room table marking out frames - I had no idea how much leaning over a sheet of plywood marking and measuring would make your hip hurt!!! Still I'm sure it's not the first ache / pain I'm going to get building this boat...

I'll post piccies when I've got something reasonable to post...

Rich

apexchaser
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Yes, pls. post AR-15 pictures!

Post by apexchaser »

Rich:

It'd be great to hear about your experiences building the AR-15 and see pics of the process.

I'm building a C12 as a first project, and hope to follow it up with an AR-15, R550, or the new sportboat design that is rumored to be in the works by Jacques and crew.

Good luck and have fun!

Felipe.

P.S. Anyone else have construction or completed photos of an AR-15 or R550?

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AR15 - Expensive Therapy

Post by jasonmcintosh »

richstrat wrote:I spent most of last night with sheets of ply on the dining room table marking out frames - I had no idea how much leaning over a sheet of plywood marking and measuring would make your hip hurt!!! Still I'm sure it's not the first ache / pain I'm going to get building this boat...
Knee pads.

Knee Pads.

KNEE PADS.

Get some good (very good) KNEE PADS.

Jason

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

It's getting closer - I now have all the materials I need to build - picked up the epoxy from CFS, best price I could find, may be worth a look for all you UK builders (only problem is they don't stock biax tape, so had to get that elsewhere)

Spent last night sorting out my 'boatyard' (garage), so I may even cut my first parts this weekend - piccies to follow when I start building!!!

Rich

fmiles
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by fmiles »

Hi Rich

http://www.epoxy-resins.co.uk/ can sort your Biax problem if you havn't already fixed that.

Tidying the garage is the worst part, only to muck it up again :? Cutting out develops dust you wouldn't believe!

MikeS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MikeS »

Cut outside, build inside! :lol:

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

Thanks guys,

Fmiles, yup, I found that epoxy supplies for the biax - CFS were significantly cheaper for everything else though!

I'd love to cut outside, but I live in a very densely packed urban area and the previous owner of the house decided they wanted a garage rather than a garden, so I'm kinda stuck with it. I guess I'll get the old vaccum hooked up the the power tools!!!

Rich

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

OK, I've now finally started properly, just as the weather got cold!

Wednesday night, marked out the bottom panel and one set of side panels - cut and glued last night. I'm sure running 3kW of electric heaters overnight won't do my electricity bill any good, but the epoxy had set like rock in 10hrs...

Boat building week starts tonight! I'll have to dust off the digital camera!!!

Rich

lstyles
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lstyles »

Rich,
Please do post pictures for us novices. Also, if I read your post right you glued the side panels and bottom panel together before putting in the chine panels. I am assuming you attached these to atleast the transom and maybe some other inside frames. Why did you glue before stitching the chine panels in? Please excuse my ignorance but I have made my mind up to build this boat and I like to get different opionions on putting it all together. I have almost completed my D5 and only felt comfortable gluing when I had the whole thing together.
thanks,
Lori

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

Lori,

No - i had just cut the two halves of the panels and glued them together to make the whole panel. Things have moved on a little from there! Yesterday I cut all the frames, stringers and the two remaining hull panels. Second day in and I'm ready to stitch - 40 hours doesn't seem so unreasonable now! I'll take piccies as soon as it's daylight!!!

Rich