OB19 in Ireland

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
neilkelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OB19 in Ireland

Post by neilkelly »

Hello to the Boat building world.
I have just started last July and have finally logged on to this forum. I will add some photos of my progress soon and it has been enjoyable so far. It was always something i wanted to try and now here I am.
Good luck to all who are building or have built and stay safe out there on the water.

Good Luck
NK

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OB19 in Ireland

Post by Cracker Larry »

Welcome and thanks :!: We would really like to see some pictures.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Like Cracker, welcome to this site and the world of boatbuilding. We are all looking forward to your pictures. John

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

Welcome to the site, looking forward to pictures of your build.
Completed: FL14, OD18

neilkelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by neilkelly »

Thanks guys i had an interesting trip to Orlando last week The weather was fantastic compared to Ireland it is cold here so i am building a plastic enclosure for the fibreglassing process That is turning out Ok and is necessary I am just applying the bi axial tape to the panels and then i am ready for laying of the main mat i will add the photos as well when complete
I have a question: have you any tips on how to shape a strake near the bow end. My plan is to run the strakes all the way from transom to bow but am still am amateur carpenter. Any tips or advice would be great. I was thinking of narrowing the strake from about three feet from the bow end and finish to a point or rounded finish. :help: I will use a one inch wood section cut along the diagonal for the strake profile.
Thanks
Take care all
NK

Heloman78
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heloman78 »

Where in Ireland? I've been working in Belfast for the last six weeks, I'd love to check out you're build if you're nearby, might stop me from drinking too much Guinness :help: .

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run »

neilkelly wrote:have you any tips on how to shape a strake near the bow end. My plan is to run the strakes all the way from transom to bow but am still am amateur carpenter. Any tips or advice would be great. I was thinking of narrowing the strake from about three feet from the bow end and finish to a point or rounded finish. :help: I will use a one inch wood section cut along the diagonal for the strake profile.
NK
I spent a lot of time on that issue. I wound up making several different profiles out of scrap wood stuck them in place and decided on what I liked.

This is what I settled on
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

neilkelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by neilkelly »

Thanks for that. It looks really good. I finally get to add pictures of my progress. More to follow.
Keep safe out there.
Neilhttps://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home/P ... ING%20OB19

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Little late but from me also welcome! 8) hope to see pics, here are some more idea's foe you strake's and a cheap home made tool to mark them :wink:

neilkelly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by neilkelly »

That is a very good idea and definitely something to try. It was certainly a challenge to make the strakes turn out as you did on the hull. They look well finished and will do a good job. I am going to attach new photos of my progress so far to date.
Question,
Is it ok if you apply two layers of 300g fabric on the hull at the same time or is it better to apply one first and wait until curing ceases before applying the second?
I will be applying the first layer in a few weeks

Thanks again and stay safe on the water