OD18 Gunnels

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

OD18 Gunnels

Post by cottontop »

Cracker Larry and others having gunnels on their OD's, I'm doing some work on my OD 18 and have decided I would like to add gunnels to mine. Need some suggestions. How wide, supports, adding rod holders in these,what thickness plywood, etc. I built inwales on mine but have decided i would like the gunnels. Also thinking about adding a jack plate. Any good reasons for doing so? What size/hydraulic-manual? And finally, thinking of changing from from mechanical steering to hydraulic(pros/cons). Thanks, John :doh:

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 Gunnels

Post by Larry B »

John, I used 3/8" ply for my gunnels, here are some pictures:

Here's the brace's I used:

and another shot:

You can't see the jack plate too good here, but it's the one Shine sells here on the site. I love it because I could get my motor height perfect. Craig, has the hydraulic jack plate and can raise and lower it while under power, I couldn't afford that one :wink:

As far as mechanical vs hydraulic steering, I have hydraulic and love it, and it's really not much more than mech. I can get you pictures if you want??
Larry
Completed: FL14, OD18

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Thank you Larry. I really appreciate the response. I just finished reading your build thread last night just before I wrote this. I love your boat. It is a real beauty. How wide were you gunnels? Don't remember reading about their width. These OD's are some really fine boats. Very versatile. There weren't many being built when I built mine. I have learned so much more from you, Cracker, Craig, Steven, and so many others. Wish I would have had the knowledge I have now from all of your builds when I built mine. That's what makes this site so great. John

ddbiiz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by ddbiiz »

John,
I made mine about 8" then 3/4" inside trim, the supports were every 4', and I used 3/8" ply. Had 4 rod holders, cleats, and rod storage on supports never had any problems. The only thing was boat got skinny at console because I made the console to wide, it was my first boat live and learn. 8) Good Luck
Don

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

John, I made mine 6" wide and they were almost too narrow for fitting the rod holders. Because of the hull flare the bottom of the holders are fairly tight to the hull sides. I would make them 7 or 8" if I were doing it again.

I also used 3/8 ply for the decks and 1/2 for the frames. Frame spacing is 36". The inside edge is 3" high. It's rock solid. I'll dig up some pictures of the framing.

I added a mechanical jackplate (Bob's) with a 5" setback. It added a couple mph and allowed the engine to be raised higher, which makes it more efficient and reduces draft.

Hydraulic steering is certainly nice, but with these low HP engines, not really necessary. My NFB cable system works like a champ and no torque is transferred to the wheel.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

cottontop wrote:Thank you Larry. I really appreciate the response. I just finished reading your build thread last night just before I wrote this. I love your boat. It is a real beauty. How wide were you gunnels? Don't remember reading about their width. These OD's are some really fine boats. Very versatile. There weren't many being built when I built mine. I have learned so much more from you, Cracker, Craig, Steven, and so many others. Wish I would have had the knowledge I have now from all of your builds when I built mine. That's what makes this site so great. John
John, Mine start at 6 1/2" to 8 1/2" at middle of console and ends at 11", only reason my boat turned out so well is because of all the builders before me, including you John :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Off topic but I love the paint job on that yellow boat. :D :D
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Here ya go John, gunwales in 12 easy steps. I wouldn't do this for just anybody :D

Cut and glue the frames, I wanted mine above the sole so I wouldn't stump my bare toes and it makes the boat much easier to clean. Then glass them in and add support cleats. This is the best way I can figure to get the frames square.

I try to move along wet on wet, so everything is at a different stage of completion at the same time

Notch the frames for the support cleats.

Fit and glue support cleats.I used 1X1 for these cleats.

At the transom I had to make the deck narrower so I could open the hatches. LarryB did about the same thing. This is the transition joint.

Bow view of cleats

Use heavy paper to make a pattern

Pattern cut to fit

Transfer pattern for best nesting

Cut and fit decks

Glue inwales. I ripped 3" strips of 3/8 ply for mine

Clean it all up

EDIT: I used a router for that, first with a flush cutting bit, then with a 3/8 round over bit. Then glassed over the whole thing.

Done :D
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

jacquesmm wrote:Off topic but I love the paint job on that yellow boat. :D :D
Thanks Jacques, She is definatly Yellow :D

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

dd, cracker, and larry thank you all for your quick replies. Cracker, I don't know of anyone who is more helpful on this site or generous with the sharing of their knowledge. 8 inch gunnels it will be. Cracker and Larry does the jackplate holes automatically line up with the motor holes I already have drilled in my transom? I currently have my Mercury mounted to the transom. Cracker did you order the mechanical plate from Shine? I will wait till the new year to order plywood from Jacques and Shine. We are leaving early next week to head up to the mountains for Christmas. Daughter and son-in-law wanted us to do Christmas in Tennessee this year. 1st time ever doing Christmas away from our home in Florida. I wish all of you a Very Merry Christmas and A Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Years". John :)