BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by BarraMan »

OK, fire the starting gun - I am off!

My plywood arrived today so I guess this is as good a day as any to declare the start of my build.

Here's my build start pic!

Details of my ply is as follows: Bruynzeel Hechthout Marine Plywood is a Gaboon/okoume throughout plywood panel with selected gaboon/okoume cores and is manufactured in compliance with the British Marine Plywood Standard BS1088-1:2003. The plywood carries Lloyds Register type approval and also carries a 10 year structural guarantee against defects.

It is superb looking plywood.

For those who don't remember my ruminations on this, the plan is to build the Mangusta 20 hull, but up-scaled by 10% and built with a side console and fore and aft casting decks.

Gonna be an interesting 2013!
Last edited by BarraMan on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

MarkOrge
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, Australi

Post by MarkOrge »

welcome to the board! This sounds like a great fishing platform, I can't wait top see it come together..... Cheers,

Mark
My Son calls me "The Fish Whisperer" I love it !

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Welcome! And I can hardly wait to see you progress!

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Glad you're here! :D
Those are going to be some cool modifications to that plan. Like a bass boat, right? It ought to be fast, I think I remember you saying that you were going to power it with a 250. 8)
I'll be following.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by WouldWork »

Sounds awesome BarraMan,

Good to see another FNQ bloke building boats from here! I'm in Innisfail.

Where'd you get your ply, resin and glass? Did you get Au STD sized ply or the full sized 2440 x 1220mm that these boat plan's nesting diagrams prefer? Have you noticed the difference in what we pay over here compared to what they seem to pay in the U.S.?

A mate of mine has land up at Tinaroo and was toying with the idea of having me attempt a Mangusta for him, so I'll be watching your thread!

Good luck, can't wait to see it come together.

Cameron.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Sounds awesome BarraMan,
Good to see another FNQ bloke building boats from here! I'm in Innisfail.
G'day Cameron
Where'd you get your ply, resin and glass?
I bought the ply from Denman Marine in Tasmania. They appear to be the only source of this high quality marine ply.
See here: http://www.denmanmarine.com.au/ Andrew Denman was very helpful.

I haven't started shopping for resin and glass as yet (about to do so!) but these things are readily available.

West System (resins) have a good distributor network, including Cairns and Townsville: http://www.westsystem.com.au/
Boatcraft Pacific have pretty much anything you may require in resin, glass, paint etc: http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/
Did you get Au STD sized ply or the full sized 2440 x 1220mm that these boat plan's nesting diagrams prefer? Have you noticed the difference in what we pay over here compared to what they seem to pay in the U.S.?
The ply I bought is 2500 x 1220 mm. I did look at buying it in from Bateau at one stage but then found Denmans. Not much difference in the price of the ply by the time you land it here.

Yes, I am aware of the premium we seem to pay for living in Oz! I buy a lot of stuff from the US these days and can often land it here for 50% of what I would pay locally. Often there is a middleman (distributor) who is to blame, not the local retailer.
A mate of mine has land up at Tinaroo and was toying with the idea of having me attempt a Mangusta for him, so I'll be watching your thread!
I have had the plans for the Mangusta for a couple of years. Interestingly, only a couple have ever been built, as far as I am able to determine. I was going to build it as a ski/wakeboard boat, but realised that it would only be used for that activity a couple of times a year as our boys no longer live at home. As my alias indicates, I am a Barramundi fishing tragic and I also wanted a boat that could use to explore some more remote fishing locations. I figure 3 x boats is a bit silly, although I have a mate who has three, so I thought I could utilise the Mangusta hull to kill a couple of birds with the one stone - mostly as a BIG barra boat, with occasional duties towing skiers/wakeboards.
Good luck, can't wait to see it come together.
Cameron
Its gonna be interesting!

Cheers

Lee

WouldWork
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WouldWork »

Thanks for the links, that's sweet! My wife will be stoked at the prices too. I'm currently doing a V12 sailing dinghy from the small boats section, but after this one I'm getting a little more ambitious. I have plans for the HM19, but I've recently toyed with the idea of the FL26. Guess I'm working up to my retirement cruiser in years to come. Tw28.. or bigger..

Looks like we can have a bateau builders meet in Townsville. Haha... Might be a bit lame with just the 2 of us.

Anyway thanks again for the web links, now get cutting, I'm so keen to see a Mangusta come along, I think you're right with the lack of them completed so far, such a shame too as it's an awesome looking boat.

Good luck once more.

Cameron.
Completed:
CC14 Canoe
V12 Sailing Dinghy
In Progress:
D5 dinghy

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

AtTheBrink wrote:Glad you're here! :D
Those are going to be some cool modifications to that plan. Like a bass boat, right? It ought to be fast, I think I remember you saying that you were going to power it with a 250. 8)
I'll be following.
Yeah, 250 hp 4-stroke is the plan. The standard hull is rated to a max. 250 hp. The 10% upscale should take care of the extra weight of the 4-stroke, but I will beef up the transom, stringers and some of the glassing to be sure it will handle the power. The decking will also be structural and there will be lots of foam-filled sealed chambers - not to be used for racing or the like so should be all OK.

johns.
New Poster
New Poster

Post by johns. »

Have to say mate, that is a crazy price for plywood, compliant with X standard or otherwise. 8O Good luck with the build Bubba. :wink: I'm quite surprised you didn't opt for the Phantom 18 considering the area you will be fishing.
Cheers,
John. (AKA Deepblack)

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Someone said, "Get cutting"! So I did.

Built my strongback.

This thing will just fit into my garage with the boat on it. Fortunately the garage has doors at both ends (a full width door on one end) and the strongback is on castors so I can move it around to get more working room as needed.

Started cutting out molds. The little Makita circular saw is just the thing for the job. Cuts nice curves too, especially if the blade depth just matches the ply thickness.

Transom and clamping boards cut out and dowelled, ready for laminating.

Molds cut out and ready to go - only a couple more to do.