PH16 by Chalk

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

PH16 by Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Well the strongback is done, just need to get my arse on to the nitty gritty....

Last edited by Chalk on Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BilltheCat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by BilltheCat »

As Mr. Nightlinger said in the Cowboys, "I have the means, I have the wherewithall, and I have the inclination, but I don't have the time!"

Way to start - it's too cold for epoxy this weekend but I expect to see some frames sneek'n onto that strongback soon! Remember, the kids can have Christmas next year, now's boat building time! :D

Dave
The secret is in the oooze!

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

Dave got me going, though I waited til it got above freezing 8O :lol: ..Got three bulkheads cut out, actually four, but had a senior dyslexic moment, tried to salvage the piece by using it for a smaller bulkhead, forgot the camber :oops: ......Got the hot head and decided it was time to take a shower.....So, here is my new method for cutting out pieces, measure three or more times, measure again, call in a second opinion, then cut :lol:

Cutting that first piece was stressful to say the least, I think I held my breath for the whole bulkhead 8O :lol:

I love it...

Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Yoda »

Chalk wrote:Dave got me going, though I waited til it got above freezing 8O :lol: ..Got three bulkheads cut out, actually four, but had a senior dyslexic moment, tried to salvage the piece by using it for a smaller bulkhead, forgot the camber :oops: ......Got the hot head and decided it was time to take a shower.....So, here is my new method for cutting out pieces, measure three or more times, measure again, call in a second opinion, then cut :lol:

Cutting that first piece was stressful to say the least, I think I held my breath for the whole bulkhead 8O :lol:

I love it...
Only mistake I see here is I'd call for 3 more opinions, then cut :wink: :)

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

About time. The only thing I see is you might want to raise it up a little higher. You think you have a sore back now, wait until you start. I made a platform 16" above ground. Flat, level and square. I layed out for all bulkheads and screwed a 1x2 on each station. Chalked a center line to make sure all bulkheads were straight. Set bulkheads upside down on the 1x2 and put one drywall screw in each end. Cut all knotches for stringers also limber holes, layed astringers in loose and started stitching. Of course you have to precut all pieces and epoxy together. When you cut your butt blocks give them a 60 degree bevel on the edges. This way when you glass the inside of the hull your glass will flow over the buttblocks.A whole lot easier than square edges. When you glue up all your buttblocks make sure yo put some wax paper under them. Don't glue your stuff to the floor like some people have done. Just a little planning ahead. E-mail me if ya have any questions. later
Ken :D

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Chalk,

Try this trick. Plot a bulkhead, stop and walk over and pick up your soda or coffee. Sit in a chair and take about three leasurely sips. Take deep breath, get up and just go over and "look" at the piece. Then remeasure it slowly. You gotta flush those SRAM cache buffers. In humans that means sit, distract, relax. S L O W D O W N . . . . .
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

Well, I did try to be real careful, you would think with a mechanical and architectural drafting & design degree, I could dimension :oops: Here is what I did the measurement was 1'6-1/4", I plotted it out, checked it, and checked it, then cut..So how did I make the mistake :doh: ...I generally run the tape to find a dimension, which I did............I found 1, then a 6 :help: , then 1/4"...Easy right.....1' 6-1/4" is 18-1/4", what I measured was 16-1/4" :doh: :doh: :oops: :cry: I had all the numbers 1,6 & 1/4 :wink: :lol:

Doug
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Doug »

Metric :wink:

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk »

Doug wrote:Metric :wink:
Nope just plain on dumb arse :wink: :lol: ....

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Chalk,

Don't feel bad. I used to teach air navigation in navy flight school. We had Mech. Engineers from MIT who would flunk out of flight school because they couldn't plot under pressure. They did well as long as the plane didn't exceed 120 knots. At 420 knots they were 250 miles behind the aircraft after an hour. After making a living by finding those kinds of errors quickly for four students at a time, while in the air, I think I know every error it's possible to make. I thought I was good until I taught the subject, then after doing that for two years, then I was good. There, that's my navy flight school story.

:)
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19