GV17 Construction Started!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

GV17 Construction Started!!

Post by NorCalBob »

My plywood kit from Rainbow Boatworks arrived yesterday, and I'll be gluing up stringers, sides and bottom soon as I can get the garage up to 60 deg. I'll be taking photos when there's something to take photos of- I'll post when I've added some, or check the builder's gallery: http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=39 . woohoo!
Last edited by NorCalBob on Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building: GV17 Built: D15

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Should've quit while I was ahead...

Post by NorCalBob »

I built the strongback and assembled the jig today. Got the two bottom panels on the jig, and had decided to call it a day, but just HAD to try and see how much pressure it would take to bring them together at the bow. Not too bad. Then I decided to push a little harder and see if I could force the point over 1/2" to the centerline. *SNAP* The 4" woven tape splice on the outside of the starboard panel broke. Oh, well- I went ahead and reinforced the forward splice on both panels with a layer of biax tape. Should be cured enough to continue Saturday.

I've been taking pictures, and will post them soon.

Davef
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Davef »

Bummer! Were you supposed to use woven tape for splices? I would think that biax would have been better.

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NorCalBob »

The assembly instructions say "Use the plain woven tape, one layer on each side. Later we will cover the inside seams with one additional layer of the biaxial tape." I'd put the biax on the inside, so the joint didn't break completely, just sorta "hinged" when the outside tape broke. Live and learn- in the future, I'll go right to the biax for any splice that's going to be under bending stress. I had some fast hardener that I'd bought for repairs left over, so the new tape is already dry to the touch. I'll probably try stiching up the bow tonight.

All in all, I'm loving the process of assembling the hull on a jig. With the D15, I was never sure if the hull was the right shape, or if I was distorting it with how I was supporting it. The jig takes all the guess-work out of it.

Davef
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Davef »

It's cool when you see that stuff happen. I remember it well even though it was about 1 1/2 years ago.

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NorCalBob »

I got the hull stitched together and tabbed with fiberglass. I removed the ties from the side I tabbed together yesterday, and everything held fine. I was a bit worried because of a bit of a peak that developed on the splice that broke earlier. It flattened out fine where the panels come together, so I'm sure I can grind out whatever high spot remains in the middle of the panel before I glass. I'll probably work on taping the seams this week, and hopefully glass next weekend.

BrianS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrianS »

Bob,
When you re-splice those panels back together, make sure you sand off the old paste!!! :!: Dad and I popped two seams on our side panels when we lifted them into place on the jig. We used biax on only one side too which also proved to be a mistake. Cloth the seams front and back. Save yourself the time and disappointment.
Anyway, once we started fairing we could see where those seams had popped, and fairing it in, to make it smooth and uniform proved to be a genuine pain in the backside. So, advice is just simply save yourself the time, and sand that seam even and reglue/tape.
BrianS

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NorCalBob »

BrianS wrote:once we started fairing we could see where those seams had popped, and fairing it in, to make it smooth and uniform proved to be a genuine pain in the backside. So, advice is just simply save yourself the time, and sand that seam even and reglue/tape.
BrianS
Thanks, Brian- that reinforces what I was thinking. I can tell I'll have to grind through the glass in the middle of the panel to get it fair, so that's what I'll do- sand it down and re-tape before I glass the exterior.

NorCalBob
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NorCalBob »

All the exterior seams are taped! Took a little longer than i'd hoped to get to this point, since I developed a slight dip in the keel after removing the stitches. I restitched and retabbed that section and gave it a couple days to cure before before removing the stitches and moving on to taping the keel.

On the D15, I had trouble wetting out the biaxial tape by just coating the wood, laying on the tape and coating and squeeging the tape until wet. I had to make some repairs where the seats join the transom due to sudden failure of my transom saver a couple years ago. While working on that, I wet out the biax in advance, then squeegeed it between 2 layers of plastic to remove excess epoxy before applying. It worked great on that, and I've been doing the same thing on the seams of the GV17, then using the "poor man's peel ply" technique while they cure. So far, so good- no dry spots, and as far as I can tell, not an excess of epoxy in the cloth (scraps aren't brittle at all). I'm planning to try the same techniques for the biaxial cloth when I glass the hull- I'll report on the results.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Davef wrote:Bummer! Were you supposed to use woven tape for splices? I would think that biax would have been better.
To avoid flat spots, we specify the lightest tape that can take the bending.
Later, the chines and bottom will be covered with heavy biaxial.
I knew that we were close to the limit there but 1/2", whow . . .
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com