FL14 paint

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Grant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FL14 paint

Post by Grant »

Priming and painting the hull. I should flip tomorrow and begin on the interior. I'm just trying to do my part as a faithful member of the "Bale of Skiffs" club!

Grant

st
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by st »

Grant said
I'm just trying to do my part as a faithful member of the "Bale of Skiffs" club!
Do or do not! There is no try!

It's looking like it's almost ready. I can see what you meant about those runners and having to hold them down during cure.

Scott.

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon »

Grant, good job. I like runners better than the skeg - did it on mine.
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

Grant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grant »

Thanks guys.

For Scott: "Walk on road. Walk on left side, safe. Walk on right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished just like grape."

Grant
P.S. Always wanted to ask you, what in the HECK is that avatar picture that you use, some kind of Australian Boogy Man?

st
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by st »

Avatar is Mojo Jojo of course. He used to be Professor Utonium's lab assistant until a spill of ‘Chemical X’ transformed him into an evil genius. The bandages cover his enormous brain that exploded through his skull.
Scott.

PS When the boat is trimmed correctly in the water the runners seem a better option over the skeg for bottom protection.

flydangler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flydangler »

st wrote:When the boat is trimmed correctly in the water the runners seem a better option over the skeg for bottom protection.
Methinks better for the bottom when beaching too, eh? I wonder how they affect handling in different conditions, if at all.

Are my old eyes failing me, or was Grant's boat built with more freeboard than the plans call for?

Never one for stirring any pots, I'm just trying to learn as much and get as many good ideas as I can before building mine in the spring. Heck, I've already got half the garage cleaned out, even found a good fishing rod I hadn't seen since about 1985.
Fair winds and following seas,
Pat Kapsner in Paw

Grant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grant »

Pat,

I doubt that your eyes are failing you, but it must just be the picture. I followed the plans to the letter and everything came together very easily and nicely. The only modifications I made were to divide up the areas under the seats into separate compartments for foam and storage. Good luck when you begin building, and definitely dust off all of the old fishing equipment, as once you finish your boat, you'll likely need it!

Grant

ross61
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ross61 »

Hey Grant,

Great to see you back at it!! She's looking really good, and I'm sure you'll still beat me to the water, cause ITS 5 FREAKING DEGREES FARENHEIT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care - more pics please,

Ross

Grant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grant »

Hey Ross!

Hope you are doing well. Man, I figured that you would have launched already. I forgot where you were posting from! It is actually unseasonably warm here--it was 68 degrees today, great fishing weather. If I had the boat finished we could have already launched actually. Sorry to say it, and it doesn't seem quite fair, but I probably WILL beat you to the launch! This summer when it is 105 in the shade down here I'm sure that I will be willing to trade some 5 degree weather for the oppressive heat and humidity.

I primed the inside today. I plan on priming another coat tomorrow and possibly putting on the first coat of "vanishing white". I bought a couple of cans of the black webbing spray (someone posted some info about it a few months back) and plan on putting that on top of the off-white. I'll upload some pics and post them tomorrow. Take care.

Grant

ausie
Active Poster
Active Poster

FL14 paint

Post by ausie »

Mate!

Id be careful if I were you...painting your boat 'VANISHING WHITE' could cause you serious problems...how the hell are you gunna find it?!..like the first set of oars I made...instead of using spruce or oregon, I used 'CLEAR PINE'....all well & good, but the first time I put 'em down I was buggered if I could find 'em again!

Al.Burke

GV11,CC14,2xsets of oars( from bateau link)