Lees GF12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
lpwebb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Lees GF12

Post by lpwebb »

I figured this board needed another gf12 thread so i started mine this weekend. The purpose of this boat will be for fishing electric only lakes around metro Atlanta and for fishing in rivers where i don't want to take the OB15.

The plan is to give it a workboat finish, paint it camo and use all black plastic hardware and rod holders with camo seats.

Began at noon on Saturday laying out and cutting the long panels and the transom.

By 5:30 i had the bottom sides and transom cut and glued

On Sunday morning i cut out the front transom and the mid seat frames and got it stitched up.

Before starting this build i had intended to carry it in the back of my truck. I have a first generation toyota tundra with an 8 foot bed and it will fit between the wheel wells. I chose the GF12 to replace an old sears 14 foot aluminum john boat that i always carried in the back of a truck. or put on the roof of an SUV. However after getting it stitched together i have come to realize that the gf12 is a lot bigger than i realized it would be. It is more than a foot wider and several inches deeper than the old aluminum boat.

Does anyone else carry a gf12 in their truck regularly?

I am wondering if i should cut it down or if i should get a trailer. I do have to weimaraners and a little boy that will be riding in it and the width and depth will make it more stable.

I guess i will think on it for a day or two.

Also does anyone know where to get some camoor black pedestal seat bases? I have seen them on aluminum boats.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Lees GF12

Post by Cracker Larry »

You are off to a great start!

The GF12 is a big load for carrying in the back of a truck :help:

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

lpwebb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lpwebb »

Some More Progress

Rubrails

Frames

Seat tops

Things go faster with help

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

I'm sure that's a GREAT helper! And looking good on the boat, too! Keep it up!