Imminent birth of GF16

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Imminent birth of GF16

Post by redfishla »

Started on the GF16 last week. All in all I have about 10 solid hours of work into it. As of now, I have the mid frames, transoms, and side panels screwed together. I hope to align and tab tonight. All in all, it's going relatively smoothly.

A few issues/observations:

The cutting is the easy part. I checked my measurements at least five times before each cut. I'm glad I did so because there were several instances of mistakes. Not too good on $45 per sheet plywood.

The hardest part so far has been getting that darn front transom in place. Even with blocks it was a wrestling match.

A large can of Planter's Peanuts makes a perfect radius for the seat frames.

Pre-coating with Epoxy. I found it easier to pre-coat most pieces before assembly. I'm sure someone will find something wrong with the technique, but I think it will save me sanding later, as I had no runs whatsoever.

If anyone has any advice for the next step (tabbing of the frames and aligning) please let me know.

This has been a GREAT experience so far!

bharbaugh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bharbaugh »

Red,

Lets get some pictures posted. Chop, Chop.

Brian

redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

photo's

Post by redfishla »

The wife bought a digital camera today. I'll get picks posted as soon as possible.

redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishla »

Pictures are up!!! Check out:

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-273

Look for Bryan's GF16. Thanks for all the support!

bharbaugh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bharbaugh »

Red,

Looks like you are doing some fine work.

Looks like your mid seat top is one piece. Do your plans show it that way or did you go ahead and bite the bullet on another piece of wood? My plans show it spliced, Jeff's show it one piece with a splice at the casting deck frame. Our plans are of different vintages. I was wondering if Jacques made another improvement.

Anyway, it looks really nice. I wish my work space was that clean.

Brian

Mango
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mango »

Looks great! I just got back from a twilight fishing trip in mine. It was an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL EVENING! Didn't get the first bite, but really enjoyed a nice time with just my dog and the weather. He, by the way, is a boat hog. He perches himself on the casting deck and won't budge. Oh well, the mid seat works fine.

BTW, got into some really skinny water tonight. Five inches as reported is pretty close to right.

Keep up the good work.
Wes Williams
V12, CC, GF16

BrianS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BrianS »

Looks great so far. Couldn't help being distracted by the clean garage. You didn't have to neaten up just for us you know. Keep up the good work.

BrianS