Snookiehunter's gf18 w/ tunnel

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Snookiehunter's gf18 w/ tunnel

Post by snookiehunter »

I've been lurking on this site for over two years now, and I am finally about to order my plans for my first boat build. I've been debating, like so many others, on which hull platform that I like best. I have narrowed it down to the xf20, or the tx18, leaning more towards the tx18.
How high will the grab rail be, from the ground, if set up like Major Gators? I prefer to stand while driving, and plan to build the center console accordingly. I ask because my garage door is 9' wde, by 7' tall, and parking the boat in the garage is a must. It looks as though I'll have to use a narrow width trailer, thus pushing the boat up to clear the fenders. Is this a bad set up for these hulls? I could go with no wind screen, and a low pro grab rail, if my hieght requirements are too strict.
Last edited by snookiehunter on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: xf20/ tx18 trailered hieght?

Post by snookiehunter »

Also, does anyone know, more specificly, how Davids tx18 performed with the 60 vs. 90. Cruising speed, draft at rest, and final prop pick for the 90?

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

The heighth is going to depend on the trailer, Torsion axles will sit lower, and on how you build the console. You can get your grab bar built with knuckles so it folds down or just have it made removeable.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog »

Your going to have a problem with height or width with the TX18. It's a full 8' wide and takes a wide trailer to fit it which keeps it from going in most garage doors. The height would be too high if you used a narrow trailer unless you had a foldaway grab bar, this is a tough deal with this boat, too tall or too wide.

David's my brother and I've been involved with the motor and prop deal and remember a little about it. The TX18 requires a 90 if you put anything in the boat, Tee tops and anything that adds weight or increases wind resistance ups the requirement. If I were building that boat I would probably put a 115 on it if I were going to use a Tee Top. Davids boat will run 40 with the current prop which is a 14 pitch stainless with a tick of cupping on it. There hasn't been any experimenting with the prop, because it takes that kind of pitch to run the target speed of 40. The 60 Horse motor wasn't nearly enough for the boat, it was essentially a dog, which is why it was changed so quickly. It had 5 hours on it when it came off the boat.

With the 90 on it, the boat is a sweet ride, cruise at about 35 in moderate chop and it just nods along, smooth ride with a little bit of bow bounce that can be trimmed out.

It would be interesting to see how the boat worked with a 150 on it and about a 17 or 18 pitch prop, would really eat the miles. :D

Here's a video that Richard took.

http://youtu.be/e8kie54lYQQ

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Great video of David's boat. The TX18 is one of my favorites and is on list if I ever build a bigger boat. Streched to 20' with a 150 would be a mmean machine! I like how the hull creates that aircushion to help with pounding and the Vee to cut the chop a little. And he did a bang up job on the graphics.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

Yes, I've watched that video 20 times! Thanks guys.
Id be okay with no grab rail, just a handle on either side of the console. A little something for passengers to hold on to. I love this hull, and am really considering picking this one. I'm am, however, concerned about the difficulty stitching these panels together, as this will be my first build. I've actually been thinking about building a plyak, so I can make some amature mistakes on a much smaller scale.
Do you think that I'll have any problems setting up the boat/ trailer combo at near 8' wide, fender to fender, at less than 7' tall, with no grab rail, while maintaining a comfortable standing while driving console height? I'm not tall, at 5'7".

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I'll take measurements of mine later in the week and post for you. Mine sits high on the trailer due to my setup and will not fit in my garage height-wise.

Will say more later...typing from phone now ;-)
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by snookiehunter »

Thanks, MG. I think the sole to ground measurement would be most helpful, because I'd have to set up an xf20 like yours. Judging by all the pictures I've seen, It looks like I'll have a difficult time with both hulls.
I'm now reconsidering my original GF18, with tunnel idea. I think this hull would work well for me. I fish alone, most of the time, though my wife comes along fairly often. But, I'd like to fish four, when our friends come to visit. I'd like to lower the sheer slightly, to look like a scaled down version of the xf20, and to reduce the bow windage, that Prarie Dog noticed on his. So should I scale xf20 drawings, or lower the sheer on the gf18?
PD, I'm waiting patiently for your gf12 tunnel results.

snookiehunter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Snookiehunter's gf18 w/ tunnel

Post by snookiehunter »

All right guys, I've received my gf18 plans. I'm very excited about finally getting to start my boat! I have to give credit to Jacques for making these plans very easy to understand. I've looked them over, and have a few questions, mostly about modifications to the sheer, and the addition of the tunnel, but I'll get back to those after I've given them some thought.
I travel most of the state, for work, and I am going to pick up the plywood, and fiberglass kit from Joel. It may be a few weeks before I can show you some scraps, or anything "boat like".
Also. I changed the title to limit to one post per boat.
Last edited by snookiehunter on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Snookiehunter's gf18 w/ tunnel

Post by jacquesmm »

For the sheer, go for a straight sheer.
Look at the plans, use the seat tops plane. Extend it to the casting deck (use the baseline) and with everything in the same plane, use that as the new sheer line.
It's easy to do without any calculations and you can't go wrong aesthetically with a straight line.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com