An AR15 in Paris

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
ekerebel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

An AR15 in Paris

Post by ekerebel »

Or should I say AR14 because as I was waiting for an answer for a possible workshop to welcome me, I could not refrain from playing around with the plans.

Now, I have the answer from the workshop and I will soon start building the boat in Paris (close to the Seine river).

The main modifications I did on the AR15 :
- decrease the length (to 14')
- lower the freeboard (by almost 10cm)
- decrease the waterline width (1.2 m. instead of 1.3)
- daggerboard instead of centerboard

I will order my plywood and epoxy next week. Plywood is marine 4mm, 6mm and 9mm.

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

Excellent - good to see another builder joining the AR club. It's also good to see you modifying the boat - now I don't feel such a freak for what I've done to mine!!!

Pictures please as the build progresses...

Good luck,

Rich
Check out my AR-15, Expensive Therapy, in builders

ekerebel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Status 28/02/2004

Post by ekerebel »

Hi,

Yesterday, I received my plywood.

Today, cut all the stations :

+ Drew the 2 upper chines :

ekerebel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Status 06/03/2004

Post by ekerebel »

One day, this will ba my boat :

Today, I got my hull panels glued (butt blocks). It was quite hard to get the workshop to a suitable temperature but I finally got it thanks to this tent. (Hope my boat will not be transformed to ash tomorrow morning...)

ekerebel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Status 07/03/2004 and First Stupidity

Post by ekerebel »

The glue is solid like rock today !
The bad news is today was the day of my first stupidity : one piece of wood (9 mm, which was not supposed to be there) was glued to a panel :

After having repaired that (I was lucky to find a good belt sander), I started assembling the hull :

richstrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by richstrat »

Looking good - enjoy it - this is the fun part, it soon turns into a sanding marathon!!!

Rich
Check out my AR-15, Expensive Therapy, in builders

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I'm curious why the modifications?

To compete perhaps in a particular class in France?

or...

inspiration?

sincerely,
ks

ekerebel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Why modifications

Post by ekerebel »

Hi,

Freeboard : I thought the original freeboard of the AR15 was a bit high, compared to other dinghies and I prefer lower freeboards...
Waterline width : I was afraid the AR15 could be too stable (I want some speed and sensations). Unfortunately, my girlfriend does not completely agree on that point...
Overall length : I found an old small rig of a b14 (coming from Australia) for sale. The mast is only 6.5m high. I think a 14' dinghy would be better designed for this rig (I know, this is an original way of answering the problem...).
Other reason : I wanted to practice with a 3D design software...

Sincerely,

Erwan.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

I'm sure you will have a unique satisfaction in the build and sailing, knowing that you did put some mental energies into a performance altering design change. Though I wonder if it would plane better with the original design and give greater speed and sensations (?). You will be the first to know. And, if your relationship has long term intentions, hopefully your girlfriend will understand the *sensations*, or at least tolerate them!

Maybe at one of the Europe Bateau gatherings you may meet Rich and compare his spec AR14 to yours???

sincerely,
ks

ekerebel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Status 12/03/2004

Post by ekerebel »

Hi,

Today, I started assembling the frames (which was not an easy part for me as I had to stitch them to the upper panel :
ImageImage

Stitching :
I still have a symetry problem at the bow (will that disappear after grinding ?) :

View from inside :

Upside is up :