SH14 Starting a new Sharpie called Little Mae

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SH14 Starting a new Sharpie called Little Mae

Post by MWhiting04 »

Hello All,
I am going to try my hand at building a boat. I have chosen the Sharpie for two reasons.
1) Looks like an easy first boat
2) I have never sailed so this should be a good size to learn on

Any advice as a newbee?

I have built a home and done alot of building projects just never worked with glass before.
Mike
Last edited by MWhiting04 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: SH14 Starting a new Sharpie

Post by bondo »

That's great mwhiting04. Your resume' is more than adequate. You will be fine with the fiberglass and the best part will be the sailing when you are finished. I hope you keep us updated on the project.. Good luck.

Stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stuff »

Another newbie just like me!!!! So far for me is not that bad and I am building a more complex boat (AD16 Karenina). For me buying the epoxy pumps has being great the best investment. It will guarantee you that you will have the right ratio of epoxy and hardener all the time. Also just like they mention in the How To's page just mix a little at a time. You will be surprise how much you can do with just a little of epoxy. Another thing I learn the hard way is to connect the orbital sander to a wet vac. It is amazing the amount of dust is generated in a short amount of time. My last advise (if you are doing the basket method) put swivel wheels to the basket with hard stops. It will allow you to move the boat anywhere without much effort. So far that is all I have learn in the past 6 months.

Good Luck and ask questions. The people in the forums are great and they will not ignore your questions.
Stuff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

If you don't want to buy the pumps, here's a way to accurately measure given volumes of resin and hardener:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fiberg ... 12809.html

If you want to get fancy, you can make several measuring cups and mark each with a different amount.

Pouring the mixed epoxy into a paint roller tray liner will keep it from kicking off too quickly.
Hank

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

Well I decided to build a model first to make sure I can follow the plans.
Now I have a cardstock replicate of a sharpie 14, progress.

It took a while to decifer the plans and all the measurements. It really does take some creativity and thought process.

I took the direct measurements from the plans and then determine the arch from the full size plans by measuring every 12" to determine the top and bottom arch. It was fun.

I did convert all measurements from Feet/inches to 1/12 the size in inches for the model.

In place of fiber, I used scotch tape. I will finish the model by completing the seats, CB, and mast partner.

I think I am really going to enjoy this process.
Any words of wisdom would be great.
Mike

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

I decided to start by building a mast. It was a new experience for me.
Planing was a new skill I had to learn. I purchased an electric planer and I really liked it.
I now have a mast round and smooth and ready to be glassed.

I could have done a better job, but for my first one it was a good job.
I had read about sanding, sanding, sanding, and sanding. It is true. Time to get buff.

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

I used to think that a power planer was a tool to destroy wood with but now I love the thing. Nice work on the mast. A mast is an advanced boat project.

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

The mast needed some epoxy so it is drying before I do my final sanding. I ran into some technical issues with the spar so I have to start that over. When I say technical that means, I cut it wrong. Taking a break from that part for now.

So I started on the body of the boat. I have all the sides cut out and ready to butt block them.
The plans on nesting were not all that clear on where to cut the butt blocks from. I am going to have to improvise. Also the plans show the center board frame on the 1/4 nesting plan, but the details list 3/8 wood. I am going with the latter because I know I will have extra 3/8.

For others, I used the plan measurements and then backed it up with exact measurements from the full size plans and found some differences. I rounded the difference off. I even double checked each one to make sure I was correct. I dont mind having to adjust but others might be confused and get fustrated.

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

So far so good. I have the frames all traced and cut out. Tomorrow I get to line up the frames and stitch them to the sides. It will look like a boat then.

The frame full size patterns came out exactly as the measurements.

As I am getting closer to marking and cutting out the bottom, is there an easy way to do it. There are not measurements or full size plans for the bottom. The instructions say to lay the boat on the plywood and trace it. I think it will be hard to hold the boat steady while I trace and then rock the boat to do the back. Any suggestions?

Sorry no pictures yet. Flat wood is not much to look at. Once I stitch it together I will post a picture or two.

MWhiting04
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MWhiting04 »

Here is my first pictures of something that looks like a boat.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pid=48194