Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by Mikem59 »

Well fellow boat builders, and I use that term loosely since I don't qualify as a boat builder just yet, but I finally pushed the checkout button today to order the FS18 kit. I've probably built this boat in my mind several times since I started reading this forum a few years ago. I finally got the courage and the $$, to make the move.

My progress will probably be pretty slow at first and proceed in fits and starts. But, after reading about others just like me, I'm confident I'll be able to build me a fine flats boat. And, based on what I've seen and read on this forum, you guys aren't afraid to chime in and offer invaluable help and suggestions, I'll just need to be sure not to be afraid to ask for help and offer up my pics and help.

While I await the delivery of the goods, I'll start on the strongback. Bought materials for that today.

Hopefully, more to come soon!

mjxlange
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by mjxlange »

Good luck on your build. It will make things a lot easier with the kit for sure. Try not to lose momentum and set a dead line. I have taken so many breaks from my build that i'm not sure i will ever finish.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Thanks, and yes I do have a deadline, September 1 of this year. I know that without a deadline it will be too easy to let opportune work time slip by. Besides, I'm having to pull my bay boat out of storage to provide me a good workspace.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Welcome Mike :D Just take it one step at a time and If you have any questions, ask.

Sept. 1 would be very quick, especially for a first build. You will need to work on it almost full time. Everything seems to take twice as long as you think it will.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Pro Wader
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pro Wader »

It took 17 months for mine to be fishable (I'm still not truly finished)

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Haven't even started my build and getting good feedback. I figured Sept 1 was ambitious. Maybe I should target having the hull glassed and flipped by that date. Regardless I'll have to take advantage of any available time to work on the build. I'm sure, like most of you all on this forum, you have other jobs to do and you also want to find the time to chase your other passion - fishing.

Got the email today from Mr. Shine confirming my order and a delivery location. Won't be long now.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 »

Well, I haven't posted in awhile, but wanted to say I have made some progress. I've built my strongback. At this rate, no doubt a September 1 completion date was very optimistic. Working full time, a good thing, gets in the way of getting long chunks of time to work. I'll be putting in some hours after work during the week to begin making some more progress. And, I must be crazy, but I got a great opportunity to get in on a deer lease, something I've never done in all my years living in Texas. So, work, trips to the deer lease, and build a boat, and fish, Hmmm, I'll be happy to complete by March 1 2014.

I've taken some pics of the materials as delivered along with pics of the strongback, hope to get those uploaded soon.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Just keep plugging away at it and it will be finished when its finished. I had dreams of splashing mine in 6 months, that came and went 2 months ago...
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

wadestep
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wadestep »

Mikem59 wrote:And, I must be crazy, but I got a great opportunity to get in on a deer lease
Plan on the boat work being very slow from about Oct through Dec... but you'll be having lots of other fun!
wade
Completed : OB19, CC14, GV10.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Where is your lease?
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19