willg's PH18 - "Yepper" launched 6/11/17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

willg's PH18 - "Yepper" launched 6/11/17

Post by willg »

I am on my way into a Phantom 18! I have been cruising the bateau site for a couple of years now. In fact, I've has the PH18 plans for over 2 years. Like a lot of builders have said, I've got it built (maybe a few times over) in my head. Now I just need to build it. I have the luxury of being close to Houston Hardwoods every Saturday with my boys' activities. It's where I got all the ply. I was generously given the adjustable boat stand by flyfishingmonk. Casey, you'll notice a few mods, but I really do appreciate the time you put into selecting very nice lumber. I have been able to easily adjust it to my uneven garage floor. Once I'm done with it it will be up for grabs again. Just letting you know, Casey, I will be lifting many other ideas from you as well during my build. I am using Silvertip from bateau.

Got a couple of questions: I have been very happy with how the bulkhead/stringers set up on the stand with one exception. The inside stringers stand proud of bulkhead A by 3/8". I think it's due to my inaccuracy in laying out the stringer pattern. I think the choice is either to plane the stringers down in a sweeping manner or to just leave them be and see how the panels come together. I know I'll need to deal with the second option when the boat is flipped, so I'm leaning to option A.

The transom piece fits up against the stringers nicely, but there is a 1/2" offset b/w the transom and stringer bottoms. Are the plans supposed to result in a 3/8" offset to account for the epoxy glue filling that gap? Seems like that would be the case. If so, I think the additional offset was due to my error in cutting the transom. I am going to laminate 3 transom pieces anyway, so I already have the extra ply. I just wanted to know this answer before I cut a new one. I would use the slightly short transom piece for one of the inside laminations.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... M_0270.JPG
Last edited by willg on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: willg's PH18

Post by willg »

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

Ok, despite my searching for the answer I cannot figure out how to post multiple appropriately sized photos into a single post.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

I'll figure it out. Sorry for the pain. Last one:

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Here you go, now try to answer me by quoting me and you can see how I did it, hope this helps 8)
Last edited by peter-curacao on Tue May 14, 2013 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Also here's a short movie on how to place pics on the forum http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scBeYCe88V0

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

peter-curacao wrote:Here you go, now try to answer me by quoting me and you can see how I did it, hope this helps 8)
Thanks. I have seen that video, a few times in fact, and I might have it figured out now. I have learned a lot from your posts, so I thank you for that also.

tobolamr
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tobolamr »

Congratulations on starting your build!

I'm going to ask the first thing that comes to my mind, even though I'm sure you've probably done it: Have you quadruple-checked the measurements to ensure you have everything cut right? We do a lot of measuring/cutting, and sometimes the best of us mis-read a tape measure several times over. I know I've done it a million times... :roll: