FL12 Glue for battens

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
pblas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FL12 Glue for battens

Post by pblas »

There are no specific directions to attach the battens to the plywood frames. Has any one used construction adhesive like PL400 for this? Does it sound like a bad idea?

pblas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FL12 Glue for battens

Post by pblas »

I see it now - epoxy glue (its always good to read the directions first). Should I spread the glue on both pieces?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I just butter up the glue side of the batten, then clamp it on, then come back and scrape off all the epoxy the squeezed out - use it on the next batten. Normally, I will glue a few at a time, clamp them all, then clean them all up at once. That gives enough leftover to maybe do another one or two battens.

pblas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pblas »

Thanks, keep the clamps on overnight?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, until the resin is cured = overnight.
And don';t use too much pressure, epoxy needs a small gap.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

pblas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pblas »

Thanks! I used a couple of brads for the remaining frames instead of clamps and they seem to leave more of a gap. I can't believe how hard the epoxy glue sets up.

pblas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pblas »

I will soon be gluing the frames to the hull. Two screws were driven through the side panels into the framing. As I replace each glued up frame into the hull I am going to need to replace the screws because the pressure from the sides wants to "pop" the frame up from the hull (mostly the bow seat frame). Would it be a good idea to keep the epoxy glue away from the screw locations? I am concerned that I won't be able to remove the screws if the glue gets a hold of them.
Thanks for the help!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

epoxy/glass in the frames, then remove the screws. I assume the screws are from the outside of the side panel and into the edge of the frame? Post a picture if you can, makes (good) giving advise easier :wink: :)

pblas
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pblas »

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... hoto_9.jpg
Thanks for the quick reply. I am building the boat at a remote location and do not have a good picture of the screws. They are driven from the outside of the side panel into the edge of the frame. This might be a dumb question. It seems possible to get glue on the screws when replacing them (after the frame edge has been buttered up and replaced in the hull). Has anyone ever had difficulty removing screws that might have picked up some glue?
That question aside, this is the most exciting thing I have done in years! It is just about the only thing I think about.
Thanks

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

If you use cheap phillips head drywall screws and let the epoxy cure too long, sometimes the heads will wring off, or it wallows out. I use small coated deck screws with a square or torx head drive. They have a coating that doesn't stick to epoxy, or the coating sticks and the screw doesn't. Heads don't slip or wring off, screws come out, no matter how long they sit there.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose