Penny HMD19

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Penny HMD19

Post by blueflood »

Hi all,

Harmony has her keel laid ; started building in late May. I live in Ottawa, Canada with construction under shelter at the cottage. I have no access to a garage so the logistics are many. The construction season is limited to late spring, summer and early fall so this is going to be a three year project. I ordered the plans during the dead of winter to study, organize and pre-plan, now the marine ply has been delivered (plus a few sheets extra of each), so has the S3 Silver Tip epoxy. Double checked everything and panel cutting / assembly to start soon. As long as the hull is faired (and hopefully bottom painted by September) I plan to flip next spring and start with the internals. Pictures to follow...

Marc aka blueflood
Last edited by blueflood on Sun May 18, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: blueflood HMD19 started

Post by AtTheBrink »

Looking forward to see this build! Post up some pictures!
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Last edited by blueflood on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

blueflood

HMD19 started

Post by blueflood »

Last edited by blueflood on Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Looks great! You precoated the panels before you stitched it up? What was your reason behind this?
Mike

blueflood

Harmony HMD19 started

Post by blueflood »

Hi Mike,

Because working outside being the main reason. Here in Ottawa it gets very humid during the summer and tons of snow during the winter and occasional monsoon rains in between. The shelter cover and sides have to be removed during the winter. I am glad I went this route because the driving rain made the hull perpetually wet until the shelter was finally delivered. I simply did not like the idea of having her exposed to the elements for months, unprotected, even thought she is 100% marine ply and being a three year project.

Marc
Last edited by blueflood on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink »

Sounds like a good reason to me!
Mike

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Site preparation under the pine trees and mostly flat ground. The strongback will be resting on 16" patio stones.

Strongback construction using 2" x 8" X 16' long, squaring and levelling. I want it sturdy in case I have to move the boat.

At last the marine ply and S3 epoxy delivered. My marine plywood source is an a two hour drive away from the building site so I ordered a few sheets extra of everything. Cutting time has arrived.

Early spring and thaw so the ground is still heaving. Strongback last time set-up and leveling, shelter bought and erected. It came from Shelter Logic being 12' x 24' with both ends. Very sturdy design.

Frames located. Duct tape on corners was to prevent the putty on joints from migrating and sticking to the frames but in retrospect not needed. I ended up temporarily spot puttying the frames in place until the hull is flipped over on the cradle then aligned and co-planed using the attached frames.

Cottage has been temporarily designated as the cutting and epoxying area until all hull panels are done. This was during mid-spring, at least that is finished now so I can use in peace and quiet.

The panels were somewhat difficult to handle but I managed. The 50 meter walk from the cottage to the building area was especially tricky, those side panels being so long and on the heavy side working solo. Of course after negotiating my way there three times without incidents I dropped the last one right on my car's quarter panel wheel trim. Busted ! :roll:

Stitching; all the panels mated nicely without much effort. 3/8" gap all around but a few spots required a bit of trimming. I was using a mini circular saw instead of the jigsaw because the blade depth is adjustable for the ply thickness instead of propping the panels for the jigsaw blade. That proved to be a waste of time and effort in retrospect. The jig would have been much more accurate.

Joints puttied, corners are 1/2" radiused and 12oz biax tape applied. There is a kink on the left side joint which needs to be faired later.

12oz biax cloth application. For extra durability I also applied 6oz cloth on the sides butted to the 12oz covering the chine; it was not overlapped on that area however. I knew there was a huge difference in wetting out properties between the two, it was during the lamination of the 6oz I realized how much. It was like wetting out toilet paper compared to the 12oz.

100% sheathed and skeg location markings. Also visible is the horizontal marking for the anti fouling transition. I will use a laser level to mark the waterline at sides from the corner points at transom.

Profiling the skeg to hull for final cutting. Guides clamped on transom to secure the skeg while epoxy glue set-up. I used oak for a shoe over the softer pine. In hindsight I would have forego the oak altogether. All the pine used on the boat comes from a source in the village which specializes in pine lumber. Excellent stock not found in the common big box stores but it comes at a premium.

Skeg attached, filleted and tabbed with overlapping 12oz biax. The hull is totally epoxied at this point with two heavy coats of resin

The transom 4" filler piece added in the cut-out to accommodate the Mercury 9.9hp 25" XL shaft Pro Kicker outboard. A 1/2" doubler is also glued inside covering the lower transom. A 3/4" clamping board is glued for a total of 1 3/4" thick which is the minimum clamping board thickness for that motor.

Faired and ready to seal with final coat of epoxy. The fairing took a good 30 hours total with the most work being around the bow. The stem was also strengthened with an additional layer of 12oz biax all the way down to the hull bottom.
Last edited by blueflood on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 27 times in total.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Looks great to me. Your work is much cleaner than mine at that point. The winter lay off may be nice, kind of taking things by seasons and having a forced break. I'm sure building outdoors has it's challenges but that sure is a beautiful build site!

Watching the build Dougster

blueflood

Re: Harmony HMD19 started

Post by blueflood »

Hi Dougster,

The only drawback building outside at the cottage is being 45 minutes away so I am burning a lot of gas going home to wash after a full day (no running water at cottage) only to go back the next day. Especially this phase of glassing and sanding - I have no urge or interest to stay overnight this year :( During winter I will keep busy sketching, designing the interior and buying hardware little by little (seats, stove, head etc...). It is a nice quiet spot where I spend most of my weekends but the lake is not where I will be cruising. That will be the Ottawa River, Rideau Canal, St. Laurence River... More logistics to deal with later but she will be moored throughout the boating season. So you are building an HMD19 as well ?

Big clean-up and final resin thin seal-coat applied. Sanding on weekend then S3 primer. Time-wise I started in early June to get to this stage working mostly weekends and some evenings after work, probably 125 hours invested though I decided not to count hours on her. My intent is to go at a reasonable pace without busting a blood pipe. This year I wanted the hull primed and bottom paint applied so I am on schedule. Late summer and fall I will be cutting the pilot house panels. Flip time is next spring.

As for other outdoor challenges - at the mercy of winds and storms. Oh yeah..knocked down hydro line by a pine tree...and forever a big can of "Deep Woods Off" at the ready for those gigantic Canadian mosquitoes and black flies.
Last edited by blueflood on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.