A Missouri FL14 is completed!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jat1993
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

A Missouri FL14 is completed!!

Post by jat1993 »

I am finished building my FL14. :D I took her to the lake this Sunday and she worked great. Rowed great, & was easily propelled with a 34lb thrust trolling motor. She also just skimmed the surface, very shallow draft. :D It is a very good feeling, building and launching your own boat!

I posted a few pics, check them out. I didn't get any lake pics though since I was by myself.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=lastupby&uid=

I did have a question. What are the best oarlocks to use? I am using perko open horn ones right now. My oars float around a lot in the locks. Just curious what are the best style to use. Am I using the right style for this boat? I am new to boats (and rowing.) I am using the 7' oars from clarkcraft.

Thanks to all, for all of the great support from this site!

Jacques, keep some OB17 plans dusted off and ready to ship, That will be my next project! :)

James Trahan
FL-14
James
FL-14

Nuckingofuts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nuckingofuts »

Good to see another FL 14 Completion!
Looks great!
Look forward to seeing some splashed pictures.
Im also new to rowing and would like to know what oarlocks are good for my soon to be finished FL 14?

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

Congratulations! It looks great! I'd like to see some on the water pics too.

-Dave

jat1993
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jat1993 »

Thanks! :D I will add those pics to my gallery once I get them.

Madrus,
I see under your signature that you are choosing between the OC17 and the Nina. Good luck, they are both great looking boats. :doh:
James
FL-14

JerryF
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JerryF »

Oops, double post.
Last edited by JerryF on Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryF
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JerryF »

Good work. Yeah, more pics (on the water), please.

Oar locks are a personal choice item. I have tried ones with open yokes, ones that have pins through the oars, and the full round ring kind. Of all the types, I prefer the full round ones. That type is held onto the oar by the oar sleave (and the blade of the oar) but can move freely between those two positions. This type is better at keeping the oar in position (can't jump out of the yoke) and also allows the oar to be pulled inward when necessary without liftning it out of the lock. For best results, the full round ring type do require the use of a tight fitting oar sleave. You could use real leather and oar buttons for the traditional look or use the newer plastic sleaves (warm water to soften, lube with liquid detergent and slide them on).

You can see my oars on the GV11 plans page pictures (the green hull).

JerryF
GV11+

MadRus
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by MadRus »

I was just about to suggest he check out the green GV11 on the pics page, but didn't know it was yours JerryF. That looks like a really nice set up to me.

-Dave

jat1993
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jat1993 »

That looks like a slick setup. I will give the round horn style a try. I seen the "oar leathers" for sale in my Jamestown Distributors catalog, but it didn't give a description of what they are used for. Now I know, Thanks :oops:
James
FL-14

JerryF
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JerryF »

The oars work well and are out of the way when not needed. Those are 94" oars (and oar sleaves) from Glen-L. The oar lock hardware is from West Marine.

The small GV really does best when powered by an outboard but rowing it is possible and not all that much effort. I like having the oars as backup propulsion or just to move a short distance, like from one side of the dock to the other.

JerryF
GV11+

Grant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grant »

James,

Congratulations! :D Beautiful job. I recently splashed a FL14 myself. Ain't it fun? Again, very nice job.

Grant