5Men GV11

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

5Men GV11

Post by kelpkritter »

Hello everyone,

After reading over the plans for the past week or so I have begun construction of a GV11. By way of introduction, my name is Dave and I have been following this site for close to ten years and have marveled at the craftsmanship of so many builders on this site. In the past I taught a boatbuilding class for my summer school students and we built three Cheap Canoes and then raffled them off. My ultimate goal would be to someday build a PH22 or C19. I currently own and tournament fish in California in a solid, well kept 1978 Aquasport 170. However, my four sons are getting older and to the point of being able to fish and boat on their own so my wife and I decided the GV11 would be a good project to work on with the kids and ultimately make it their boat. The name "5Men" comes from a phrase my wife often uses when describing our family, "5men4me", which is her way of saying she is the only girl in the house. Even the dog is a boy!

The goal for the boat is to power with a 10 or 15 HP motor and let the kids have some fun with it. Initially it will be transported in the back of the truck or top of our tent trailer, which makes this a great boat for us as we do a lot of camping by both the coast and near mountain lakes. Sooner or later it will most likely get a trailer so my oldest son can transport a little easier as he is getting his license soon.

So onto the progress. Spent a few hours over the past few days marking up the Meranti BS1088 that I received locally at Bohnoff Lumber. If you are in California, specifically SoCal, they are a family owned business that has been around over a 100 years and they got me the sheets the following day.

I am at a point where I have a question that was not answered in the Small Boats forum, as well as a follow-up. Don't want to start cutting until I can verify my measurements. The boat will be built with an angled transom so I will be using the plan updates from the site.

1. The only dimensional changes are to the transom and the transom gussets, correct? Nothing changes with the long panels.

2. On the third drawing there is a notation that appears to be "12 degrees". Is this accurate? This is the only thing I could imagine it to be.

Nothing photo worthy until I start cutting tomorrow. Once that starts my goal is to document the whole project.

Hope you enjoy the build and I will certainly be open to all of your expertise.

DaveB.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 5Men GV11

Post by peter-curacao »

Welcome and have fun, patiently awaiting the pics 8)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

1. The only dimensional changes are to the transom and the transom gussets, correct? Nothing changes with the long panels.
No, there is more. Please see the text at the bottom:
"extend hull panels etc."
It's in red, below the drawing. It requires more plywood.

2. On the third drawing there is a notation that appears to be "12 degrees". Is this accurate? This is the only thing I could imagine it to be.
Yes, it is 12 degrees but you don't really need that angle dimension. Measure the extension of the panel, the 4-3/8" and it will automatically create a 12 degree angle. It's more accurate that way.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Please do not post technical questions in a forum titled "non-technical". I don't read this forum everyday
but I read the technical ones (at the top) every few hours.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kelpkritter »

OK, the build has begun!

Started measuring and marking on Friday and started cutting on Monday. So far so good with about eight hours into the project. As this will primarily be the boy's boat each of them has spent some time helping out so far. All hands on deck when we start mixing and spreading epoxy next week. Many hands make light work, but in our case I hope it does not make a mess 8O

Everything is cut out with the exception of a few pieces. The bow seat, in order to insure proper fit, the transom knees as they will be modified slightly, and the transom gussets. I will be building the angled transom version and my initial measurements did not provide the proper shape for the angle of the transom. After some tweaking I think I have it right, but would feel more comfortable fitting the template I made into place before I find myself having to buy another sheet of ply.

Waiting now on epoxy and fabric from BBC and will start the next phase when it arrives.

The progress so far.

Jarod and Andrew helping with the measurements.
1/4" Meranti BS1088 laid out for long panels.
Andrew all geared up for me to turn on the saw!
First cut! The Makita 18V circular saw worked great and made quick work of the cutting jobs.
Bottom and side panels and bow and stern transoms all cut and laid out.

Now I just have to sit tight and wait for the mailman to bring some supplies.

DaveB.

kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kelpkritter »

All of the resin. fabrics, and fillers arrived on Wednesday and after getting everything organized I was able to start piecing a few things together. It is hotter than hot in SoCal the last few days, 107 in my neck of the woods so I had to work real quick in small batches.

Got both sides of the long panels spliced with a combination of butt blocks and tape spices and have the one side of the mid and aft seat frames glued up and spliced together. Later today I will flip the frames and finish the taping and gluing with the goal of stitching it all together before Monday.

Gluing up the long panels.

Gluing up the seat frames.

Inside lower panel butt block.

Looking forward to turning all these pieces into what will soon be a boat!

DaveB.

kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kelpkritter »

I have been working in the woodshop of the school I work at and classes start again tomorrow so had to get crackin' so I could move the boat back to the house. Fought with it a bit, but got it all stitched together and brought it home in the back of the pick-up where it sat perfectly in the bed. Got it home and immediately flipped it upright and measured the diagonals and they were within 1/8". Have to go back and tweak a few stitches to line the panels up a bit, but overall pretty happy with the overall shape.

Next steps are taping the seams and then will be to plan out the glassing schedule. I will be adding biaxial fabric to the bottom and transom, inside and out, and woven cloth to the sides per Evan's suggestion. The intent of running a bit faster and working in potentially rougher inner waters makes sense to strengthen her up a bit. Going to be working 'wet on wet' as much as possible so I want to be prepared.

All stitched up!

DaveB.

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

Your boys are going to love this whole project. As my grandsons get older(they are 7, 3, 3, and 18weeks now), I hope to build a small boat with and for them. Keep the news coming. John

bondo
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bondo »

Looks really nice Kelpkritter you're off to a good start. I like Evans' designs and its fun to see the hull in 3D. That boat looks fast. Thanks for the pictures.

kelpkritter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kelpkritter »

Thanks for watching.

It is really cool seeing all of the boats come to life on these forums, but it is even more awesome to do it for yourself.

Need to tidy up a few things in my new work space and hope for some cooler temps before I proceed much more, but there will be more posted. Not a very glamorous boat or all that much that really goes into it, but it is fun to document and see the progress and have a record of it.

If all goes well maybe I can convince the wife to let me build something bigger :wink:

DaveB.