Hayloft VG23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hayloft VG23

Post by andrew lucking »

As promised I've added a few pics of the VG23 construction to the gallery. Apologies for the quality - the camera and the photographer's 'skillz' are equally responsible :wink:

I'm building in the hayloft of a horse stable and the topic of conversation around the farm as of late is how I'm going to get it down once construction is complete. This shot should give you an idea of where its going to have to go:

The entrance way is the area all the sunlight is coming from on the right side of the photo (behind the ladder) - it's about 10 or 12 feet down. I've got a few rough ideas but figure I'll be better motivated once I actually have the boat built.:lol:

As I mentioned in a separate post asking a few building related questions I'm beginning to temp install the framing in the cable tied hull in order to shape it. I'm having a great time so far and hope all the upcoming sanding you more experienced builders talk of won't crush my "newbie enthusiasm".

If anyone has any advice or sees anything I seem to be doing wrong please point it out. I'm not too proud to admit that I'm pretty clueless (atleast regarding boatbuilding) . 8O I'll do my best to update as I progress. Perhaps my photography will improve with along with my building.

Cheers,
A.

edit: Here's a link to the gallery if more shoddy pics interest ya:
http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=12054

ArizonaBuilder
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by ArizonaBuilder »

okay, I am salivating now... Keep sending us your pictures..

I have always loved the lines of the VG23.. I am hoping the VG27 is just as impressive.

Can you take a couple pics with humans in the picture, so we can
get a good feel for the size of the boat.. It sure does look like a good size boat right now..
Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-- Benjamin Franklin

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Hayloft VG23

Post by chrisobee »

andrew lucking wrote:I'm building in the hayloft of a horse stable and the topic of conversation around the farm as of late is how I'm going to get it down once construction is complete.
I think it would be easier to get the horses to live upstairs than to get that boat down. 8O

andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by andrew lucking »

ArizonaBuilder wrote:Can you take a couple pics with humans in the picture, so we can get a good feel for the size of the boat..
I shall try to lure someone up into the loft next time I'm building. That is actually a brilliant ruse as folks are starting to catch on to the fact that they get put to work each time they venture up. Now I can get an extra pair of hands under the guise of requiring a "model" for a photo.:wink:

In the meantime here's a shot of the beam on my mug after the chine panels were installed. If it helps at all with proportions the horizontal support of the two mid frames in the basket are an 8 foot 2x4.

Thanks for the encouragment Terry!

ChrisObee wrote:I think it would be easier to get the horses to live upstairs than to get that boat down.
LOL. It really would be the least they could do seeing as how they have such big plans for sailing adventures once its complete. :roll:

Cheers,
A.

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by LarryA »

I have always been thoroughly amazed at how quickly the Vagabonds shape up into a boat. Keep up the great work!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Nice work space, I cant wait to see the pictures of the boat coming down.

Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

Great work, and great work space.
Don't worry about taking the boat down, concentrate on building it. Once your friends and family see the boat taking shape I'm sure they will have lots of ideas about how to take her down.

Happy building!
JG

shawnk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by shawnk »

worst case scenario.....rip the barn roof off and crane it out. rebuild roof with new found wood working experience..... 8O

bbuckl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bbuckl »

Leave the barn door open this winter and slide the boat down the resulting snowbank.

andrew lucking
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by andrew lucking »

Thought I'd post a quick progress update.

The hull panels all around have been glued / welded. I'm thinking about adding a few small pieces of fg tape in some strategic locations as well once the glue has set up. The transom has also been glued in place - its a nice milestone but damn I have to do some climbing to get in and out of the hull now :wink: Atleast it's stopped me from putting tools down on the hull and banging up the plywood. I've also added the first layer of tape on the inside of the bow.

Alas, I've forgotten about the camera the last few times out so no new photos. :( Not that you need a jpeg to imagine a mess of "putty" smeared about the hayloft. Oh, for those who find themselves in a similar predicament - I've found that scissors do an excellent job of removing epoxy from hair.:roll:

Cheers,
A.