DE23 : Progress

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

DE23 : Progress

Post by bear »

Just added a closeup picture of the cross section of the DE23's transom to my gallery :
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=139

Because it's a big boat, it needs a well designed transom. A lot of power must be handled by this part.

Temperature is 25C and epoxywork is nice.

:D BEAR

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Thats a great picture, thanks.

bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Progress report

Post by bear »

Put in place the sole in the cabin and cockpit today. Will make the fillets and taping on monday. Then the pilothouse(?) will come next. By the end of the next week we probably will have it in place. I will not make holes for the windows until I see what windows I will end up with. Pretty expensive things. Will have to look for best prices.
After all the rain we have had the last weeks, it now seems like we will have nice weather for some days to come.....

:lol: BEAR

bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bear »

The boat is almost finished outside exept for the foredeck and the aera around the puller, the door and windows and painting. Next week it will be lifted up on a truck and moved 100km to another location where the interior will be finished. No need for a shed or garage now when it can handle rain.

I made some changes to the original layout but since I forgot to bring my camera I can't show picture this weekend. But there will be plenty of them next week.

:D BEAR :D

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

Fantastic! Why is the hull yellowish?
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bear »

The yellow colour is the priming compound. The boat will be sprayed white with some kind of colured stripes to "soften" the big flat sides....

Iowa Boy Greg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Iowa Boy Greg »

Hi Bear.

I have been watching your progress eagerly and have learned a lot. I have recently changed my mind from building the GT23 to the DE23 instead. Although I am in the US midwest and will be running mostly rivers I would like to be able to cruise the great lakes on occasion and so have chosen the more seaworthy hull. I will be starting the build this fall.

Of course, I want to customize the boat for my needs. Since I will be cruising with my family, a proper head is a necessity. I am thinking that I will be raising the cabin roof height 6" or so and lengthening it by 12" or thereabouts. I will be putting the head behind the pilot seat and eliminating the galley per se. I plan on having a sink aft of the port settee and will just have a propane grill/stove in the cockpit. To get more room in the cockpit, I will likely not build the motor well but will use a transom bracket for the outboard instead.

I am just curious if you are doing the stock cabin plans or are customizing. I guess I will follow your progress and find out. Thanks for posting the excellent pics and dialogue on the forums. It makes a HUGE difference for those of us that want to learn and are planning on building the same design.

Gooden Tag. (I don't know if that is correct but I am of Norwegian descent and my uncles always said that and ate lutefisk, etc., etc.)

Greg
Earth First! We can mine the other planets later.

bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bear »

Greg (and all the DE23's)

The cabin of my DE23 is pretty much the basic stock version. I will have the head where it is located on the plans. But I will make a folding door in the "station C" for privacy. I will also install a propane stove behind the steering position. The "propane-bottle" (what's the word for it?) will be located in the starboard locker beside the engine well.

My "modifications" to the plans are
1. reduced the width of the decks to 12,5cm giving me about 30cm wider cabin.
2. Installed one 91l fuel tank on each side so that each of them is about halfway "put under" the rear seat and the galley. The fuel tank compartments are totally sealed to the interior of the boat. Behind the cabins rear bulkhead the tanks protudes about 35cm and thus giving me two comfortable seats, one on each side.
3. I have raised the cockpit sole about 10cm to ensure a more "dry" sole when fishing. (We very often fish from the boat when it is not moving ahead).
4. The room under the cockpit sole where the fuel tanks was planned to be, I will use for storing fish. It will be cooled by the cold water and it will be perfect for this intension.
5. I have put the front of the cabin some 30 cm into the roof of the cabin to give med a nice shelf for maps, navigators etc.
6. Because of the wider cabin I have planned three windows in front of it.
7. I will install a hydraulic steering position which gives me a nice option to install an outside position easily.

And I do appologize for not beeing able to post pictures. I really feel that I have something to show you now. I'm very satisfied with the progress until now.

By the way; your norwegian needs a little work, but I feel like we will get there by the time our DE23s are cruising....

bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Added picture

Post by bear »

Just added a picture showing the exterior of the modified DE23.

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... 139&pos=13

More pics will be posted soon.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

Very nice. That is a big one!