Biscuit's Panga 22 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Biscuit's Panga 22 build

Post by Biscuit »

I started posting in the wrong section. Oops
My build and general posts will be made here from now on. Nothing new to report as of this evening. I have plenty to do on the strongback but I messed up and ordered 5 pallets of sod for the backyard that will be here in 2 days. So I spent most of today blistering up my paws a bit. Not exactly relaxing work but it did get me working on something away from the TV and that isn't bad.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Biscuit's Panga 22 build

Post by Matt Gent »

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58447 link to original thread

To continue the console location discussion, I agree with the math listed but don't forget about the driver. When you move the console back, you are moving its weight (60lb?) plus the pilot (200lb?). And if that is offset by the fuel tank moving forward, the fuel weight is variable, so I might only count half of its weight (and be off by +50% when full, and -50% when empty).

Personally I prefer to have the console a bit forward and have good walking & working space behind a leaning post or seat.

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Thanks for your input Matt,

There's a lot more to my question than I initially thought. I never considered how my big behind would affect the boat.
Last edited by Biscuit on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hope2float
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Hope2float »

Good luck with the build. The panga is a very seaworthy boat and an easy design. Keep picture posting on the high side, we all like them I think. I posted tons of them. I hope you all liked them. I think you did, but who knows. On the console issue I would think that if you keep the battery in a forward compartment or two batteries forward it would help offset the rear load. One optima battery weighs 59 lbs for the 31 class and can be mounted in any position. If you use two forward it would much more weight than the offset of the console and possibly you. I may be wrong so bring on the suggestions. I feel the boat should be what you want it to be. Your building it and will have to live with what you built, so make it your own.
BUILD-ON!
Dave

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Last night after work I stayed up entirely too late to get the strongback finished but was successful at my goal. It's stiff as a board and rolls like dream. Good thing those eight casters are lockable. I stepped on it and the darn thing started rolling out the garage to the drive.
As mentioned in an earlier post, look close for the subtle hint of overkill. Lol
Received an e-mail from BBC about my 20 sheets of BS1088 Meranti today. Apparently my ply is in packaging. Not sure what state that's in but hopefully it's close to Mobile. :D

Jeff

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Received an e-mail today, shipment of plywood due to be delivered tomorrow. 20 sheets of BS1088 Meranti @ 297lbs it said. Folks in the big brown truck are gonna love that package. It would be great to have the plywood here for Monday morning when my (stay)cation starts. Even my wife is excited to see some progress. So much so that tonight after dinner she said "Hey we should try to find an outboard while you're on vacation." I think my heart skipped a beat or two. I knew there was another reason I married that beautiful lady beside her great sinse of humor and amazing personality. Well all that and she's a "sexual tyrannosaurus".
So that sweet wife of mine wanted grass and a motion detector light mounted. Well yesterday morning we, the wife and I, laid 5 pallets of sod and we're sore everywhere. The light may have to wait till Monday due to my crazy work schedule. Today though I finished prepping the garage for the build. Two projects to finish up and a motion detector light to hang and you'll be reading and watching our Panga 22 come alive.
I'll post a picture when the ply gets here all packaged up. 8)
Jeff

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

Plenty of pictures please - I hope this is my next build or the Panga 25 - I am about 75% done with Garvey 11 build
I like your "inspirational shots" on the other thread.

If your boat build is as nice as your strong back it will be beautiful!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

297 lbs would be maybe 10 sheets :doh: maybe thats epoxy/glass.

UPS does not bring the plywood, it comes by freight truck

Nice strong back :)

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

shine wrote:297 lbs would be maybe 10 sheets :doh: maybe thats epoxy/glass.

UPS does not bring the plywood, it comes by freight truck

Nice strong back :)
That's what it was Shine, epoxy/ glass kit. Just finished unpacking.
Last edited by Biscuit on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biscuit
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Biscuit »

Last edited by Biscuit on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.