Wouter's PH18 Namibia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by Wouter »

Hi fellow boat builders.

It's the end of Easter weekend and I've startedwith my PH18 build. So far so good, jig finished last weekend and now all bulkheads and stringers are finished.

However I still need to get all epoxy and fibreglass products so going to need to wait till I recieve those before I can butt join the stringer.

I'm doing the transom from two laminated 12mm ply pieces so also need to wait before I can continue with those.

The boat was inspired by BassMunn's boat and I hope to get somewhere near his immaculate build. Also planning a bass boat layup to be used for fresh water river fishing, mostly on the Zambezi and Kavango rivers.

As I'm in Namibia, products and materials are hard to come by so most will have to be imported or sourced in one way or another and hoping This forum would help ally some alternative solutions if I get stuck.

Will post some pics shortly. 8)

Regards
Wouter

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Wouter's PH18 Namibia

Post by Wouter »

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Wouter wrote:Image
Welcome, good luck and have fun! 8)
If you didn't already, don't forget to put some diagonal cross members in your strong back

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Hi Peter-curacao, Thank you.

The 'jig' has got cross members and angle iron to keep it straight, with caster's so i can push it around. It does twist a little as my floor is not perfectly straight. But I have jigs inside to sort out the twisting issue.

This pic should be better. :-)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

I see but I was talking diagonal supports, probably some ply triangles on/in the corners is enough, this should take out the twist completely, keep in mind the heavier it gets the more it wiggle, especially when pushing it around, you want to keep that strong back as straight as possible :wink:
The rest is looking good you are on to a great start 8)

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Point taken, diagonal supports makes sense, I'll add some and do something on the corners too.

Thanks!

antoniekruger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by antoniekruger »

Hi Wouter,
Where in Namibia are you?

Good luck with the build.

Antonie
CC14 splashed
CS23 almost there

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Hi Antonie

I'm in Oshakati.

Thanx, looking forward to receiving the fibreglass products soon so I can continue :wink:

antoniekruger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by antoniekruger »

Hi Wouter, that's far north. I wanted to make a turn, but I go as far as Swakop. We're running a site at Husab. The last time I was in Oshakati was with national service back in 1987. Where are you buying resin from - Windhoek?
CC14 splashed
CS23 almost there

Wouter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Wouter »

Hi Antonie,

Yes, Oshakati is a bit in the middle of nowhere and materials are a bit of a problem. I imported the marine ply from CT, took three weeks to get here, so I'm foreseeing delays in obtaining materials.

So far I've been dealing with AMT Composites in regards to resins and fiberglass products, haven't placed any orders yet but it seems as if they are able to export and deliver to me which is a great help. I also know Brian from my earlier sailing days so trust the advice and input he has already given me tremendously.

I've sneak peak at your build and it seems like it is coming along nicely! As you are a long way ahead of me I'm sure I'll be able to get some advice from you too! :roll:

I've just returned from a weeks fishing in Rundu at the annual Crockango Bonanza with a borrowed boat, which left me on the side for most of the event, so it reinforced the motivation to get to it with my own boat :D

If you are ever up north in Nam, let me now, you are more then welcome to visit!

Regards.