Learning to build a boat V12 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Learning to build a boat V12 build

Post by Corvidae »

So after constantly listening to a work buddy talk about sailing, I convinced myself I could build a boat. 8O
I only need a few inches clearance to fit it in my garage right?
It's going to be tight, but I think it'll just make it.
That is assuming I actually glued the panels straight, and mixed the epoxy right. Did I mention this is the first time I've worked with epoxy? Hopefully I didn't just glue those panels to the floor and the plastic actually releases.

About those butt blocks, the plans say 8" wide, then don't give a length. I cut the bottom ones a bit back from the outside chine and the side blocks a few inches down to make room for an inwhale. I'm hoping that works out for me as I can't see how the side/bottom joint could stay true if the blocks run into each other.

selever
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Learning to build a boat V12 build

Post by selever »

Cool. I'll watch! :-)

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Well I managed to get my first big mistake out of the way... You can't tell, but in that third pic, the side panel on the right, is facing the opposite direction from the one on the left. Meaning the butt block for that one is on the wrong side of the plywood.

Since I figured worst case scenario is to cut a new side out of my last sheet of 6mm, I figured I may as well attempt to fix it using the electric hand planer of doom. Which is usually only good for doing horrible things to doors. Amazingly however, I was able to peel off the butt block about a quarter of a layer of ply per pass. When I got most way though the last ply, the circular sander cleaned up the rest.

I learned a few things in the process. First off, the French make really good plywood. There were no gaps in lamination or material at all, in any of the layers. Okoume is worth the cost. Secondly, the butt block is the entirety of the strength in that joint. Once it was taken down to just the epoxy between the two butts of wood, the joint bent under the weight of the wood. There will definitely be a layer of glass going all around every side of that seam and a small fillet/tape going on the butt blocks.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

There will definitely be a layer of glass going all around every side of that seam
not necessary, but it will keep the joint from telegraphing through the paint over time
a small fillet/tape going on the butt blocks.
definitely not necessary! You can bevel back the edges of the butt block and that will make nice smooth transition

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

So the new butt block is cured and on the right side of the plywood for a change. :D
A little survey of the damage:

So now the sides are cured and ready to go:

I would have already stitched them up, except I'm trying to figure out how big the hole in the center frame is supposed to be. I've got a 6 inch hole scribed right now, but it looks a bit big. It's pictured on the plans, but I haven't found a measurement or offset for it yet.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Yup, she just barely fits:

I should get a pic of the bottom panels tomorrow to show why I was thinking they need a fillet. The butt blocks are off by half an inch or so. Not enough that there's a problem, but enough that it's ugly. Still not sure how I want to deal with that, I'll have to see how they line up with the sides and figure out what kind of cover up job it's going to take.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc »

I'd just glue on a narrow strip so they look even. It'll probably be one strip on each side, one forward and the other aft. Once it's faired and painted nobody will ever see it.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Managed to make a bit more progress and took on the bow bending of doom.

All it took was some bending stretching, swearing, bleeding and a little time to ponder what I was doing with my life. And I managed to pull it together for the most part.

While it does look like I got the boat straight, I'm a bit concerned about how well I managed to run the keel line. The transition in this pic, just to the left of the drill press in the background, just doesn't seem right.

It might be intended to turn there for all I know. The stern transition is similar, but smoother, and that one is supposed to be there.

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

Corvidae wrote:[...]
While it does look like I got the boat straight, I'm a bit concerned about how well I managed to run the keel line. The transition in this pic, just to the left of the drill press in the background, just doesn't seem right.

It might be intended to turn there for all I know. The stern transition is similar, but smoother, and that one is supposed to be there.
[...]
Don't settle to soon if you are not happy. One way to get a fair boat is by not immediately cinching all of the stitches up tight. Tighten with a view to keeping a fair line at all times.

It's virtually impossible to cut a perfect panel. To get a fair boat, you just about have to have uneven gaps somewhere.

Corvidae
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corvidae »

Yeah, I think I might have to do some adjustment on the keel line to smooth it out. It'll bug me even if it doesn't affect the boat. Might be a few days though. After all that wire work, my hands look like I lost a fight with a cat, and the twisting motion has my wrist so sore I have to drink with my off hand.