JustInCase FB11 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

JustInCase FB11 build

Post by JustInCase »

So Im committed. Here's the build plan for the FB11.
-Do a little experiment cutting curves in plywood this weekend and build a window box size planter that looks something like a canoe using stitch and glue. If it looks good I may even paint it next weekend before starting on the FB11.
- While I am off work between Christmas and January 5 build the hull and get as far as I can on the FB11.
- finish the boat working nights and weekends through the winter and launch her in spring or early summer.
I have the plywood now. I'm going to do the full sail, row, motor set up on this so I got 4 sheets of the 6 mm okoume for the hull and a sheet of 18mm Meranti for the foils. I'm also going to make a small change to the plan and move the forward seat up to the gunnel and stretch it back to cover the upper mast support. That and adding all the parts for the motor and sail option made getting the 4the sheet of 6 mm nessissary over the 3 in the plan/kit.

I'll post progress here and add pictures to the gallery I just created....I may even link them here if I figure that out. :doh:

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: JustInCase FB11 build

Post by Cracker Larry »

I ran a charter boat out of Ft. Lauderdale for a while, it was named Justin Time. It carried a dinghy/life boat on the bow named Justin Case :lol:

Here is your picture...

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Why don't you post a photo of the window box, too?
I don't have the plans but the photos of other boats look as if the front seat is already at the gunnels but perhaps the sailing version is different.
Tony

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

The plans have the fwd seat a few inches below the gunnel with the upper mast support a few in back and at the gunnel.
I'll post pictures of the planter when it's done or maybe at the end of the day...I'm off to the store now to get a sheet of cheep 1/4" plywood to play with before working with the spendy stuff.
Last edited by JustInCase on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

Ok so I found some 5mm interior plywood to play with so here is the stitch and glue planter.
First I layed out lines for the three panels:
http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... fullsize=1

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

Cut it out
And zip tied it together
After dinner I'll mix some epoxy and see how that goes

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

I Did learn some things that will be good to know.
1) The top ply on the cheep wood I got was very thin and delaminates from the next ply down very easily.
Next time I need to de-bur all edges and holes to keep that from happening.
2) cut on the outside of the line with the circular saw and walk it in to maintain a nice exact curve. Go slow and use a nice new plywood/panel blade to prevent chipping.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Open the image in the gallery full size. Right click with the rat. (Mouse, rat, whatever) Select "Copy image location",

Put your cursor where you want the picture to be and paste the url there. Ctrl C will copy, Ctrl V will paste, or right click and select paste. The url has to be wrapped in Img tags Image
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

JustInCase
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JustInCase »

Can't right click with the I pad. Dont tell me I'm going to have to use the computer.... :(

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

A lot of people do it with an Ipad, but I don't know how. Sorry.