FS14 -2 week (+11 month build).... Done and spashed

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FS14 -2 week (+11 month build).... Done and spashed

Post by deuce_454 »

Hey all..

having built a pair of GF14's and lurking and planning.. I've decided to build the GF14 replacement before diving into a bigger build... i have given my self 2 weeks time to do some R&R and build the boat... i know its wildly optimistic, but im aiming for a relatively complete boat without a cracker finish.... just want a fair running surface and ok work/fish/play like finish....

i have a lovely assistant who have decided that it would be fun to build it together... so the female in the pics is my girlfriend ...

day 1 started in the afternoon, with building a pair of saw horses ... didn't have to be pretty and they didn't turn out that way either... threw a set of strongbacks together and marked the first lines on the 1/4 inch PW ... on to cutting gluing sides and cutting the rest of the plywood tomorrow... stay tuned (will post pics as soon as photo bucket starts cooperating)
Last edited by deuce_454 on Sun May 22, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 2 week build

Post by deuce_454 »

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

In the living room and your wife smiles! That is great, you are a lucky man.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Thats awesome! Cozy little shop you have there to. 8)
Gary
GF-16 Completed

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Noon of day 2

Post by deuce_454 »

My small circular saw, an almost antiquated Black and Decker with a 5 inch blade made quick work of turning the lines into a couple of cubic feet of meranti BS 6565 sawdust... time for lunch and glueing... i have strung a piece fo masons string down the length of the small shop to give some reference to the measurements in the plans...

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, we can't repeat it enough: the circular saw produces smooth curves.
Much better than a jig saw.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

day 2 after lunch...

Post by deuce_454 »

jacques.. it was on your advice i used it and it was quite easy to steer and equipped with the finest carbide blade i could find it still cut about 1/2 foot per second, ..

as noted above i marked string a piece of masons string the length of the floor to lay out the distances to the reference line and glue them straight.. if nothing else just to right any possible sawing errors i might have made..

mixed the glue from low viscosity epoxy, aerosil (thickening agent) and cottonfibres... wetted both surfaces and played out a layer with a toothed blade...

have screwed thru all layers into the floor to keep it from shifting on me during the night...

will cut stations and stringers tonight as i wait for the epoxy to cure

stay tuned :D

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Wow, 2 weeks on a FS14? Maybe so, yall are moving fast :!:

Beautiful smile on that lady, awesome picture 8)

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Two weeks seemed like wishful thinking, as I've been working on a V10 for a year now and I'm still a ways off.
On the other hand, you seem to know what you're doing, which gives you an unfair advantage. :?

PS Jacques' skillsaw tip worked for me, too. Before building this boat I wouldn't have thought of trying it.
Tony

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Noon of day 3

Post by deuce_454 »

The 2 weeks are not only wishfull thinking.. its also not possible to do unless it were possible to magically cure the epoxy in 3 minutes after applying... so the plan is to get the boat finished in rough, but no fairing or painting... we are building it at the lake, and have 2 weeks off to do so and do what ever we want.... im treating it as a challenge :D

today i cut the remaining plywood and glued the transom and stringers... again after stringing a line between them to get them as straight as i could without buying an aluminium profile to clamp them to as the glue sets...

all the straight cuts were made with my 190 mm makita (thats 7.45'' for those watching in black and white :wink: ) no pictures of that process as i found using a selfie-stick unsafe while sawing... and my lovely GF found it to be loud and noisy....