panga 22 build hull assembly

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tomcop1990
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

panga 22 build hull assembly

Post by tomcop1990 »

Hi i have recently purchased the panga 22 metric plans as iam in australia , i have never built a boat before and thought it would be a great project , i have some questions about the hull assembly how do you attach the outside ply sheets to the frames when stitching and glueing it together like how do you get the sheets of ply to stick to the frames to take contour of the hull before you glass the joints ? If anyone could help i would really appreciate it cheers tom

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: panga 22 build hull assembly

Post by Cracker Larry »

You can do it a couple of ways. Either temporary screws or short pieces of FG tape, or a combination of both. I mostly use small hex head decking screws. They have a coating that epoxy won't bond to, and are much easier than a phillips head to drive and remove.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Welcome to the forum! Good to have another Aussie builder here - we should think about having an Aussie Bateau boat builders get-together some time!

I used a plastic cable ties to "stitch" the bottom and side panels to the bulkheads in a couple of places. When its all together, remove the ties and fill the holes with epoxy/wood flour.

tomcop1990
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tomcop1990 »

Ah i see awsum thanks so much guys for the help really appreciate it so just simply tac it down with some screw to take its shape and glass and glue the joints and once cured remove the screws , yeh we should for sure mate sounds good .

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

tomcop1990 wrote: how do you get the sheets of ply to stick to the frames to take contour of the hull before you glass the joints ?
Ideally you don't want the ply planking sticking to the frames by any force other than gravity (see your Bateau Plywood Cored Composite Boat-Building Manual pages 22-24). You only use persuasion methods like those described by Cracker Larry and BarraMan as a last resort. What part of Qld are you in? I'm on the Sunshine Coast.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

tomcop1990
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tomcop1990 »

Ok so thats a last resort , so when i lay the ply sheets onto the frames and stitch and glue all the way to the bow the sheets shouldnt lift off from the transom ?

topwater

Post by topwater »

Lets see if this will help you out. lay your bottom panels on the jig holes drilled about every 2 feet for zip ties along the
inside and out side edges. Line the bottom panels up and install zip ties loose, i put two screws in each panel at the transom
to hold it in place.

Next hang your side panels the same way loose with zip ties.
Then slowly tighten all ties and bring panels togeather .
Take your time and make sure everything looks smooth and fair .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

so when i lay the ply sheets onto the frames and stitch and glue all the way to the bow the sheets shouldnt lift off from the transom ?
I always use screws to align the sides and bottom with the transom. Sometimes need a few on frames, not usually. Topwater gave of perfect example of how to proceed from there. I lay my bottom panels one on top the other and pre-drill them for the tie wraps down the center, about a hole every foot or so. Then go ahead and put the ties through the holes very loose. Put the whole assembly on the frames and open it like a book.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The only problem with the example Topwater showed is no normal human has a shop that is that clean and neat :lol:
I Do not know how to work like that and get something done at the same time :doh:
Fuzz

tomcop1990
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tomcop1990 »

Ok great thanks heaps guys thats really cleared it up for me appreciate it