GV11 on the water

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GV11 on the water

Post by grundasaurus »

If anyone is interested here are some photos of my completed GV11 running around on the water. The one thing I found was that cruising in the 15-18 knot range in smooth water, it's much more comfortable to stand up provided you have a life jacket and that you're wearing the clip.
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GV11 on the water

Post by Fuzz »

Very nicely done! Looks like you are having lots of fun with it in the pictures. One question, is that a 25HP I see mounted on the skiff? If so I understand the need to drive it standing up. I bet it is spending as much time out of the water, flying, as it spends on it :lol:
Fuzz

Steven

Post by Steven »

Mine flies with a 15hp, can't imagine a 25. Nice job. Did you install a fin on the outboard? It will run more bow down, getting the VEE cutting the water and be much smoother riding.

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Yeah it flies tops out at 35mph on the gps, the fin is next on my list of additions as well as some more fairing to fix a low spot I just noticed and possibly a skeg as well for better tracking in turns

JerryF
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JerryF »

Steven wrote:Mine flies with a 15hp, can't imagine a 25. Nice job. Did you install a fin on the outboard? It will run more bow down, getting the VEE cutting the water and be much smoother riding.
Steven, you ought to try it with 40hp. It is a thrill a minute for sure. :D grundasaurus, definitely you should add the fin, it makes a big difference in hole shot and running attitude. Get as big a foil as you can fit on the anti-cav plate. I recommend the full size Sting Ray hydrofoil. I used it on a 15hp Johnson before the 40hp Honda.
JerryF
GV11+ G3

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

You are crazy with all that HP! :lol:
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

jacquesmm wrote:You are crazy with all that HP! :lol:

Too much is barely enough! :D

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Nobody loves horsepower more than me, but that boat just doesn't look right!

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

The main reason I decided to put so much power on the back was really just for running with two maybe three people because before with the 9.9 getting on to a plane with two people was barely manageable if you had any extra weight whereas now it's easier on the engine and more practical. The one thing I noticed about the boat is that it's way more comfortable with two people; with one it's pretty bumpy whereas two is really smooth. I ended up buying a fin at the end of summer but alas I put the boat away the day after.

michael c
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by michael c »

BarraMan wrote:Nobody loves horsepower more than me, but that boat just doesn't look right!
I think it looks just right! Any less power and you'd have the boat in contact with the water, and who wants that? :doh:
Seriously, though, those things work surprisingly well with older 25hp 2-strokes - assuming you glass it like a larger boat. The moderate V really likes more power. Functionally, it's a lot like a 13 foot RIB. Mine would plane out with 2 adult men and full dive gear (2-4 tanks) plus a full bait tank, but didn't feel ridiculously over-powered with just me. I've never been on a better boat in that size range.

You did a great job, Grundasaurus - beautiful boat!