FS13 Isa

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FS13 Isa

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

As someone asked why there are no posts about the FS13 builds I decided to show the first 2 pictures of my FS13.
She will be named Isa after my 2 nd granddaughter who is recovering well after 2 heart surgeries in the first 3 months of her life.
She suffered a stroke after the second operation and seems to put even that away. She is now 5 1/2 months old and gives me a big smile when I visit her. By the time she can walk her FS13 should be finished.
Actually I want to splash it this summer together with my other boat AD14.

Greetings from Karl ( Austria )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS13 Isa

Post by Dougster »

Best wishes for for your granddaughter. It must have been hard seeing her go through that, but I bet her smile and this build is good therapy. I'm thinking about doing the wider version so sure look forward to this thread. I made a 1/3rd scale model of the FS13 and everything fit together well, with no problems. Looks like your bottom panels are spot on and your pics are great. I like clicking on them and blowing them up.

Watching Isa Dougster :D

Corto Maltese
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Corto Maltese »

Isa and grandpa should have many joyful moments on this boat.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

Again a little progress on the FS13 and the dry fitting of stringers, frames, sole and deck was done easily this Sunday morning.
Here are a few pictures of it:

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

Slowly but surely I am progressing a bit. Unfortunately still battling with the cold climate so I have to run the gas heater in the garage whenever I work with epoxy to have at least 15 degrees celsius. For the taping of the bottom , bow and round the transom seams I removed the stringers and frames to be able to work over the whole length of the boat. Tommorrow morning I will glue the stringers and frames into the boat. Last night I had a knock out. Not to loose too much heat in the garage I went in and pulled the heavy steel door directly behind myself down and slammed it smack on my head. But I was lucky because all that happened I was lying dazed for a few seconds in the driveway until I realized what I did.
Here are the latest pictures after applying the tapes for the light version of the FS13. Actually I should have built the heavy version to go with my overweight body. But I decided for the light version because it is easier to lift and I hope to make it lighter than designed by using Paulownia wood ( strong but very light ) for all the cleats onto which the sole will be glued.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Wow, Karl, I thought I misunderstood you when you said you had a knock out. I'm glad you weren't hurt too badly. You're making good progress on the boat, just try not to do that again!
Hank

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,

Now I have the frames and stringers glued to the boat and at the same time I epoxied the inside:

And this is the last dry fitting of sole and deck before I install the cleats into the boat onto which the sole will be glued:

Greeting from Karl

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

It looks very good to me, very clean. What kind of power are you planning on? Also, that looks like a lot of room for storage under the deck at the bow. Will you put a hatch there?

Dougster

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
I have an electric outboard motor ( Minn Kota C30 ) which I have actually bought for my sail boat when there is no wind.( AD14, should have a common splashing with FS13 this July ) I will try this electric outboard on this FS13 as well with a steering extension to the middle of the boat, because if i would move too far towards the transom with my weight, the boat would shoot out of the water with the bow and I will be diving over the transom into the lake. It has a very long shaft 91 cm ( 35 " ) which is ideal to use it on the AD14 transom. As I am also toying with the idea to get the small Honda BF2.3 air cooled motor I would try that one as well on the FS13. I will definitely get a paddle set to try out stand up paddling as well as paddling sitting down on a kajak seat.
The building notes say one can make a round inspection hatch under the fore deck to use the space underneath as storage, or one can fill it with foam like underneath the complete sole. I think I will use it as storage and mount a round inspection hole. My son had the idea to put the battery for the electric motor into this bow area to have a good weight distribution.
First I have to get it finished then I will document all my different propulsion tries.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Very nice, clean job.
The center of gravity is just behind the grabrail. That means, one MUST use a long tiller or a tiller extension. That extension can be a simple PVC pipe. You can walk towards the stern to lift the motor but be careful, it is not very stable.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com