P19 build in Alberta

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

P19 build in Alberta

Post by grundasaurus »

Hey all, so up to this point, we've been pretty bad about taking photos of our build, however, we have a few,so here's our P19.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1742
What we've accomplished most recently is glassing the bottom and side panels. As you all can see it isn't the neatest epoxying job ever, but it seems to be quite strong. The one thing this really bugged us was a few small spots where we found two or three air bubbles; in the photos you can see the biggest patch at the bow, is the patch sufficient, or will it compromise the structure? We also put a strip of carbon fibre along the seam for some extra impact resistance (lots of logs floating around).
GV11, several rowboats, P19 in progress

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: P19 build in Alberta

Post by grundasaurus »

Also the next step for us is rubrails, spray rails, and the keg, so if anyone has some suggestions/ tips for length, thickness etc they would be greatly appreciated.

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Slowly progressing with the build, sealed in the transom motorway cutout for a bracket later on. I also cut out strips of 1/4 ply for the rubrails, and also applied a layer of kevlar to the keel (which I mildly screwed up). Does anyone know the best length for the skeg? I've seen some dispute of over keg length and placement in other builds, so any info would be much appreciated.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

grundasaurus,

You're making some good progress, I wanted a little lift in the back end of my P19 so I excluded the skeg and went for strakes instead, I think it helped, hard to say, she tracks great! Plus I didn't want a 3" skeg added on to the bottom of the boat.

I also did the 1/4 ply for the rub rails then added a rubber taco rub rail with a stainless steal insert, looks good and takes a beating!

I'd would show you some pictures but I can't post since adding windows 10 on my computer, see my gallery.

I like the idea of the engine bracket, should give you a little more room, you may have to add some weight in the front to balance her out.

Keep on posting.

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

The Strakes sound interesting... How much lift do they add? We're planning on installing some trim tabs to help with trim amid ever varying loads of people and fuel, for the rub rails, did you laminate them together before you glasses them to the hull, or did you butt joint then laminate them together as they went on the hull? The boat will be used on the west coast which can get pretty windy, so I like the idea of the lateral resistance of the skeg in the harbour ( our other boat, a Grady freedom 205 has nothing like that and goes straight sideways in a light breeze at slow speeds). As for balance, I'm planning on adding a small potable water tank in the berth, which should help with the overall balance, one of these days I'll make a spreadsheet to keep track of the cg.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Is that carbon/kevlar? Kevlar alone is usually a yellow color.
Gary
GF-16 Completed

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

The boat has a layer of straight carbon fibre first, then another layer of pure Kevlar on top, no carbon Kevlar weave at all

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Does anyone else who's built a P19 know what the finished weight range is with engine? is it under 3000lbs? also what kind of speed does the boat get with a 90HP engine. More building photos/progress to come today. Also, I built a small rowboat in my basement over the winter, we decided to keep the inside natural wood, not painted, so any suggestions for a top coat over the epoxy, to protect it from UV? I've heard polyurethane words well.

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

They sell an epoxy with UV inhibitors in the store under the "epoxy" section. You can also use a spar varnish with UV inhibitors, but it will be softer.
Aloha

grundasaurus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by grundasaurus »

Can the varnish adhere to a side that is fully saturated with epoxy?