CH14 underway

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MartinV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

CH14 underway

Post by MartinV »

I've finally started building the CH14. Got the 100% mahogany ply Friday, transferred the dimensions yesterday and cut and joint the panels (on 1 side) today. I'll try and post some pictures later. What I came across:
- I've read about a builders who's glassfibre butt blocks failed and it was mentioned it was because he didn't fill the space between the panels. In order to prevent that (and breakage when turning over to do the other side),I've placed all panels on the floor with approx 5 mm in between, put some weights on them to fix their positions, filled with putty and glassed one side. Results will be in tomorrow :wink:
- My order of resin and glass tape hasn't arrived yet, so I had to make due with some leftover epoxy and some home cut strips of glass from a large piece of fabric, even tried the PE foil for a smoother finish
CH14 built, something with a sail next

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: CH14 underway

Post by pee wee »

Very nice! That sounds like some premium plywood, are you planning to do a clear finish on part of your boat?
Hank

MartinV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MartinV »

I do! The inside of the hull. I didn't pre-order Okoume ply and this was the only thing in stock. Now I've got some epoxy on it, it's very nice! The rest of my stuff came in late today, so the only thing I could do on the hull was the glass tape butt block on the other side.
However, I did buy a piece of ash at the local saw mill and nearly finished a yoke with some free plans I got from the internet. Pics to follow

MartinV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MartinV »

I've attached all panels and took my time to line everything up. I tried to ommit the tie rips and use duct tape, but the panels created too much tension, so I had to use tie rips. I spotwelded the panels with epoxy glue and hope to remove the tie rips tomorrow and start making fillets on the inside.
I had to use a lashing to hold the centre spreader in place.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

MartinV, Looks really nice!! Jeff

MartinV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MartinV »

I've removed all tie rips and am surprised to experience the strength of spot welding. I've also finished the seams on the inside, but it left me wondering about some stuff:
- doing the inside of the bow annex stern is very difficult, as it is very narrow. What would be the best way to approach such tight angles?
- on the other hand, how do you get a nice fillet on very wide angles, like around the middle of the canoe?
Anyway, I'm going to flip it tomorrow, sand the outside and tape it.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

- doing the inside of the bow annex stern is very difficult, as it is very narrow. What would be the best way to approach such tight angles?
I think I would stand the boat on one end and make a wood flour epoxy mix just loose enough to pour, and pour it in. Let it cure, then flip and repeat. Let gravity do the work.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good recommendation CR!! Jeff

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

MartinV wrote:...how do you get a nice fillet on very wide angles, like around the middle of the canoe?
As was suggested on another thread, an old CD work great when you need a large radius fillet.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

MartinV
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MartinV »

Will an mp3 work as well?