GF16 -- Smart Tabs???

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

GF16 -- Smart Tabs???

Post by redfishla »

I've gotta tell ya -- I LOVE THIS BOAT! The more I use this thing, the more I enjoy it, but I have one issue -- THAT DANGED TILLER EXTENSION ISSUE :doh: It clearly performs best with me in the middle seat. Steering is ok, but from a safety standpoint, I have to waddle back to the engine to put it in and out of gear. Quite an inconvenience, and it makes docking very difficult -- no way to "brake" without the reverse!

The Automatic trim tabs by Nauticus look very interesting, and I can get a set for around $100. Do you think this might help overall performance and the squatting when I'm in the stern (boy, that sounds funny)?

If any of you GF16 builders have the same issues, I guess I can be the sacrificial lamb and give it a shot :D

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh »

I haven't heard any first hand stories about those trim tabs. Love to hear what you learn from them...
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

smilinmatt
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by smilinmatt »

I haven't heard of anyone that's installed them either. My biggest concern with them would be how they'd handle shallow water (while not under power). Can they be locked in an up position while you're poling around in 6", backing off a beach, bouncing around down a shallow creek, etc?

BeigeBond
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Smart Tabs

Post by BeigeBond »

I built my own non-adjustable trim tabs out of 1/4" ply and they worked fine on a similar boat . Tabs don't ride down so far that they inhibit poling, but they do make backing up or poling backwards a little squirrely.

They completely solved the weight distribution problem, though.

$100 sounds like a bargain. Mine cost almost nothing though and took about 20 minutes to build.

Another solution is to put a Dolfin or other hydro-plane type thingie on your cavitation plate. That might work better for poling since you can haul the motor up.

Just my 2 cents.

redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishla »

Beigebond,

Can you e-mail some pictures to me? I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm not really sure how to proceed. E-mail is redfishla@hotmail.com

Thanks!!

BeigeBond
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Trim tabs

Post by BeigeBond »

There was a question how to do this -- I didn't keep pics, but it's simple. For two tabs:
Cut 5 8x8 inch squares of ¼ inch ply.
Cut 1 of those 8x8 pieces diagonally to make two triangles, I cut a 2 inch circle in the middle of the triangle for looks.
Put the triangles in the middle of the squares to make two simple 90 degree brackets. The circle cutouts helps with clamping.
Use fiberglass tape and epoxy to assemble the pieces. Use tape on the inside and outside of where the two squares meet.
Coat the whole thing in epoxy and paint as you like.
Use two #10 stainless screws with washers on each side of the triangle to mount each tab to your transom (8 screws/washers total). The edge of tab should be flush with the bottom of your boat – if you cut slots rather than drill holes in the tab, you can shift the tab up or down as an adjustment.
Each tab will sit flush against the transom of the boat on either side of the motor. The angle of the transom should give enough downward angle to the tab (it only takes a few degrees). If you don’t think it’s enough, you can add shims between the transom and tab at the top screw points to increase the angle.
You can make these bigger or smaller and improvise the shape if you like – I did mine as a prototype thinking they’d break off after hard use but they never did.

redfishla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by redfishla »

OK. You motivated me! I'm going to pull my left-over 1/4 inch ply and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Those tabs are a good idea but are we not on the wrong track here?
The tabs are suggested to avoid the tiller extension but why not solve the tiller extension problem instead?
First, with a crew, there is no need for a tiller extension.
It's only when you are alone in the boat that you need one.

Docking is not done at planing speed. I used tiller extensions a lot but when I get close to the dock, I move back and that's all.

Note that there are tiller extensions with a connector to switch in fwd and reverse. They cost $ 60.00. There was one at our last meeting in Jacksonville, on the XF20.
I don't know the make or where to find it but somebody else may know.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BeigeBond
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Smart Tabs

Post by BeigeBond »

Tiller extensions work. But there are a couple advantages to tabs:
I got a little better speed with tabs than with putting my weight forward (not sure why, I just did).
The ride is a little better further back.
I had more confidence in turns seated at the rear than in the middle.
Also, I didn't put a middle seat in my boat -- I cut U frames and put a cooler between them. Even strapped down, it wobbled a bit.
The tiller extension gets in the way sometimes.
It's nice to just pull start and go without having to move forward.
You can't make really sharp turns with an extension (well, not intentionally anyway). 8O

Of course you can take the extension off easily, which makes it a lot more flexible than tabs.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, the ride will be more comfortable in the back, that is a good point.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com