Decided on r13 instead of hk15

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Decided on r13 instead of hk15

Post by bwhite829 »

So after a failed scout trip last weekend due to low water I decided that a row boat with small outboard will be better than gf18 for the river I will be in. Going to build the r13 instead of hk15 as it looks a bit more stable with more capacity due to increased beam. Scrapping the gf18 altogether and getting od18 plans for the bay and using the 40 hp I have for that for a fuel efficient inshore boat that I can take offshore. Gf18 will be on the backburner unless my son wants to build when he gets older....so keeping the plans JIC. Looking forward to the r13 build in the spring and then even more looking forward to taking a hog and deer from it next season

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Decided on r13 instead of hk15

Post by glossieblack »

Good choice. I've been more than happy with my R13, whether using a 2hp outboard, or rowing. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

bwhite829
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bwhite829 »

glossieblack wrote:Good choice. I've been more than happy with my R13, whether using a 2hp outboard, or rowing. :D
Do you have pics?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Here are some pics. Because she was built as a two part nester, the internal layout differs from Jacques' plans, to accommodate the nesting. The last pic shows her nested on the foredeck of our cruise boat, the use she was built for.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

glossieblack wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:45 pm Here are some pics.
Nice work on this boat, Glossie, the nesting is hardly noticeable, looks great.

How does she row? I am ever-pondering my next build and seriously considering a rowboat so I can stop rowing my driftboat, which is not very good for rowing, though it does provide a great workout in the smallest of breezes.

Considering this and the SG16. The R13 is more versatile: I can use as a tender for my sailboat and I have a small outboard I can put on it as well for quick fishing trips. But if it's not at least a pretty-damned-good rower than I may go with the SG and live with it as a pure rowboat.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Well done GB!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:35 pm
glossieblack wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:45 pm Here are some pics.
Nice work on this boat, Glossie, the nesting is hardly noticeable, looks great.

How does she row? I am ever-pondering my next build and seriously considering a rowboat so I can stop rowing my driftboat, which is not very good for rowing, though it does provide a great workout in the smallest of breezes.

Considering this and the SG16. The R13 is more versatile: I can use as a tender for my sailboat and I have a small outboard I can put on it as well for quick fishing trips. But if it's not at least a pretty-damned-good rower than I may go with the SG and live with it as a pure rowboat.
Apologies for the tardy response VT_Jeff, I just stumbled across your post.

R13 rows very nicely for short trips. But she's a 13 footer with 13' row boat limitations. She's not long enough to keep smoothly powering forward while you've heaving back and forth. For serious rowing, SC16 is the go. I've got her plans, perhaps one day .......

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

glossieblack wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:46 am R13 rows very nicely for short trips. But she's a 13 footer with 13' row boat limitations. She's not long enough to keep smoothly powering forward while you've heaving back and forth. For serious rowing, SC16 is the go. I've got her plans, perhaps one day .......
Ok, appreciate it. It's what I suspected but I'm still not ruling it out. It will still row a lot better than my driftboat, I'm sure, and would be pretty flexible to other uses. Lot of winters left in me(fingers crossed) so maybe I'll just have to build both eventually.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Pretty lines on her. I’ve always been a sucker for rowing skiffs. Nice job.