V8-jet RB18/JA17 - slow build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

V8-jet RB18/JA17 - slow build

Post by deuce_454 »

Its time to scratch that itch once more :D
I ordered and received a set of RB18 and JA17 plans... The plan is to cut the wood and plan the build during the winter. I have a 165 horse GRAY marine (buick 215) V8 with a matching hamilton axial flow jet. .. i even found a split duval windscreen for a hot rod ill adapt. I ordered both sets as the flat floor of the RB18 and the developable deck appeals to me compared to the JA17 thats mostly meant to be mated to a jet ski unit... and the hamilton jet is designed to mate to a 12 degree transom so i might have to do away with the pretty curved one....

The plan is to do everything my self, including sewing the upholstery.. that way there is something i can plug away at this winter too.
anyway, this marks the beginning. i plan to start glueing in march

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V8-jet RB18/JA17 - slow build

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Welcome back and I wish you lots of luck that temperatures in Denmark will allow you to glue in March already. After that early Spring start the whole bateau community is looking forward to your detailed documentaion with pictures of the build even that you will have it finished by April or will it be a longer build this time. I still sometimes look at your picture with the snow shovel on the wall and dressed in a parka. Have fun.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

COOL can't wait to see this one 8) 8)

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

This is going to be good. Love the idea.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Agree, she will be really cool!! Jeff

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

Thank you for all the encouraging words.... i think it will go much easier this time, apart from being a more complicated build of course ... have ordered the 6mm BS1088 plywood, im considering a light weight material honeycomb or balsa core for the floor and thicker panels.. 3/8 plywood just seems heavy.... especially if its also used for seats and so on

it was my plan to use west 610 thickened epoxy "caulking" or the quick "pro set" epoxy caulking for the initial glue up and for "spot welding" for my next build... it seemed i wasted many a good build day waiting for stuff to be glued in spot before adding fillets and tape... im also considering springing for a flexicat for the fairing. and just for an early christmas i ordered a Bosch 10.8v lithium GKS circular saw.. its absolutely awesome for plywood.

Im not so sure about the twin cockpits though, id like to to be more open.. like a sanger flattie or ski-nautique.. but that can wait til after i flip it this summer hopefully

will update when ever i have something remotely interesting to post... with for now will be plywood-cutting and changing gaskets and hoses in the engine

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

deuce_454 wrote:it was my plan to use west 610 thickened epoxy
Handy stuff but if you ask me way to expensive, I used it once can't remember exactly what but there was something going on with those tubes, or they were filled halfway or it was because it's 2 components in one tube, but you don't get out of it what you would expect, also if you don't use it all at once you have to put on a new (expensive mixing) tip the next time use, unless you wanna do a hideous cleaning job on the used tip