MY C17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

MY C17

Post by WHP »

A new beginning.Started a new tread . Bought yesterday the plans for the C17. I'm exited . Cleaned up my garage ready to go .
In the study plans it says 9mm marine ply and in the plans 10mm marine ply does it matter 9 or 10mm ?
Any rough idea how many meter of the wood for the cleats i need 1x1 and 1x2 ?
I,m getting a quote from COLAN Australia for the biaxial tape and woven fibreglass ,marine epoxy . Sydney based company who makes composite reinforcement .
Getting all wood ,ply wood this or beginning next week. than i can start cutting all panels .ordered lg wheels for the Jig so i can move it around .

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: MY C17

Post by pee wee »

Good luck with your build! Incidentally, your build thread should be under "builder's progress and non technical messages", not "plans and building". If you need a question answered put it up here under this heading so it will get seen by the people who check for questions.
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

9 or 10 mm plywood is the same thickness. Some manufacturers call it 9, others 10.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Looking forward to following your build. The C17 is a great boat. I put a 60 hp Yamaha on my center console version and have never felt the need for more power or speed. That is not to say I wouldn't go with a 70 hp if it was close to the same weight and price as the 60. Good luck .....stock up on the disposable items like mixing cups, rubber gloves, foam brushes, sandpaper etc.

Bob

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP »

Thanks Bob,
Found a plywood place can get BS1088 and BS6566 to a good price BS 1088 is $250.- cheaper . Missed out on the 60 hp Mercury (was on special brand new with warranty $3000) .Its a liquidation shop and they have ever so often specials on . Do I have to strengthen the transom if I hang on a bigger motor say 75 hp. Use 12mm ply instead of 10mm or is it getting to heavy in the back?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

You can put up to a 90HP without strengthening the transom. As I mentioned before the newer 70's weigh about the same as the 60's and will give you a better performance profile. Keep your eyes open you have a way to go till you will need to mount your motor.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP »

ok if i have that correct its two pieces for the transom and two backing plates and the all get glued together with epoxy wood flour.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Drawing 236/3 shows the construction. Note # 9 on that drawing says "transom 2 layers plus clamping board 1 layer".
The nesting drawing shows a second layer for the clamping board.
It is there to show that if you want, you can add a second layer, there is enough plywood but it is not needed.
However, outboard clamps are 2" wide or more, why not install that second layer?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP »

My wife wants a Toilet in the cabin. Is the cabin big enough to do that. We are both tall people so the cabin bunk is to small for us anyway.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I have no idea if you can get a head in the cabin or not. It just struck me funny that you are dealing with the same thing as me. Just goes to show ALL women want one on the boat.