FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS18

Post by rbecker08 »

So it finally happened, I got a call that there was a 350 lb package for me to pick up tomorrow that can only mean one thing. Marine plywood made it here. So we are starting a FS18 build is starting near Pensacola, FL. Looking forward to all the challenges that come with and getting to know you all and learning from your experience. It'll be a bit slow getting started but I figured we should first start with introductions. First our construction manager
IMG_0234.JPG
First Mate (Studying up)
IMG_0167.JPG
And lastly.....the Grunt
Untitled.png
So looking forward to being more active in the community and thanks for following me through what is shaping up to be my mid life crisis.

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS18

Post by Dutch1 »

Welcome aboard. An FS18 on Pensacola bay would be nice. Good luck on your build! There's a ton of knowledge on this forum and there is no stupid question.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Thanks Dutch.....logged back on because I forgot one.....the stowaway
IMG_0230.JPG
And yeah super pumped about getting this thing built and on the water. Not going to fill the void offshore but makes a good warmup for something a bit bigger and should handle this perfect
20170113_124109 (1).jpg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to you all!!! We will enjoy watching you build the FS18!!! There are several underway right now!! Again, welcome!! Jeff

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So got the plywood in on Friday. Seems like the first project will be to get the workshop set up. I read on crackers build that you can cut two pieces at a time if you secure them. What's the best way to do that clamping on the cutting table or do I need to use brad nails? Hope you all enjoyed the weekend it was just to pretty to make much progress caught 5 bass 10ish reds and my first hybrid stripper
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Cutting two pieces at a time ensures they are an exact mirror of each other. All you need to do is clamp them together enough so they do not shift while cutting. I am sure you read that by setting your saw blade just 1/16 of an inch deeper than the wood you can cut curves with a curricular saw.
Looks like you had a good day fishing. I am ready to do some of that myself if the weather here ever warms up.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Made some progress over the past few days, just measuring out cuts nothing to exciting. However did find something real useful. For parts that are not on the edge of the ply used a story stick and the drywall t square to make accurate measurements, used this for measuring stringers in between the sides and bottoms on the 1/4 ply.
StoryStick.jpg
So moving ahead but not real sure on the nesting, especially for the stringers there isn't to much detail on how they are broken apart and nested in the plans but we'll figure it out or buy another sheet. Taking my time as I come from a long line of measure once, cut once, modify design type of folks.

Also there are some parts that share an edge, meaning there will be a kerf cut out and whatever wobble is in my cuts. This is especially true on the stringers nested in the middle of the ply, I am guessing as it stands I will have stringers 3 7/8" not 4" after final trimming. Is it recommended to measure kerf in or don't worry about it. The furniture maker in me is freaking out.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Put the furniture building part of your brain away :D We are building a stitch and glue boat here. Remember gaps are good, you will fill them with glue and have no hard spots.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:26 am Put the furniture building part of your brain away :D We are building a stitch and glue boat here. Remember gaps are good, you will fill them with glue and have no hard spots.
Gaps are good....I say it but I have a nervous twitch afterwards because gaps are bad lol. Reading around here I am learning that tolerances are different here. Thanks for reading along with me fuzz I'll probably have this tolerance thing come up again

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

rbecker08 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:24 pm
Fuzz wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:26 am Put the furniture building part of your brain away :D We are building a stitch and glue boat here. Remember gaps are good, you will fill them with glue and have no hard spots.
Gaps are good....I say it but I have a nervous twitch afterwards because gaps are bad lol. Reading around here I am learning that tolerances are different here. Thanks for reading along with me fuzz I'll probably have this tolerance thing come up again
I dont' know... they let me hang out so they are a pretty tolerant crowd...

If you make every cut 100% perfect you will be told to put a nail between each panel to ADD space. This is not fine cabinetry. You need some slop. Hard to stomach, but it's true. You could mark your lines with a jumbo crayon, use a jigsaw in a drunken stupor, and STILL build a good boat with this method. You may not have fingers, but the boat would be sound.

For the record the above method is NOT sanctioned by anyone and only recommended for use by CL, Fuzz, and the other crazies at that top of the boat building shrine. Mere mortals should only use a medium crayon and have a light buzz (this is also NOT sanctioned by sane people but let's be honest, we all need a dozen belts of the strong stuff every now and then don't we?).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.