FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by Reid »

Well we have finally begun our project build here at the Boat Builder Central warehouse. We chose to go with one of our most popular designs, the FS18. We chose to go with the Straight Sheer and Rounded Chine option. Also, and I'm sure this is no surprise, we went with the CNC kit cut from Okoume BS1088 6mm and 9mm. The goal for this boat would be to use it in our travels to boat shows and, of course, fish the heck out of it!!! You will notice some slight differences that the CNC kit has from cutting the plywood by hand. For example, the puzzle joints made joining the pieces for the hull panels extremely easy. It is time to start the stitching process so I will talk with you soon.
Imgur Album
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS18 Straight Sheer, Round Chine

Post by Fuzz »

Good deal! We need somebody else to razz :lol:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

At least you won't run out of epoxy or fiberglass! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt »

Eric1 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:30 pm At least you won't run out of epoxy or fiberglass! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or Quickfair! :lol:
ALLIGATOR LAKE

cape man

Post by cape man »

Bet his delivery is not any faster than mine! 8) 8) (That's a compliment, not a complaint...)

Like Fuzz...good to have someone else to razz!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

seaslug

Post by seaslug »

It's not fair! You have an unfair advantage, and I don't mean the CNC kit, or the unlimited supplies at you disposal, but the fact you don't have to search all over your garage and backyard junk pile to find enough cement blocks, old car batteries, rusty paint cans, and buckets of water to weigh down your panel glue ups......I'm also glad you live 200 miles south of my fishing grounds, because I've become accustomed to fishing my local flats all alone, and another FS18 sneaking up on me is just unacceptable.....Reid, make sure you post pictures of the CNC cut bow section, I'm curious to see how the panels look. I'm psyched you're finally able to get started. The sanding begins, all too soon my friend. Mike

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Made some good headway on the FS18 this week. I want to give a big Thank You to Seaslug for the tips and advice he gave me before I started this project. His advise about making sure Station A was at the end of the strongback was a great suggestion. This build has already been an exercise in patience, and I haven't even got to fairing yet!!! You can see from the photos below that I initially stitched from the transom forward and used some ratchet straps over Stations B and A to aid in shaping the bow strips. After I had the shape "roughed in" I started drilling all my additional stitch holes and used some small zip ties in order to keep the holes small. One tip to pass on to future builders of this design is to make sure you have enough space between the bow strips to allow the pieces to come together. As I began to stitch the strips into place I had to trim the strips with my utility knife to keep them from binding. I also sanded the ends of the hull panels and strips where they meet up at the bow. I gave them a kind of miter cut in order to facilitate a nicer fit.

Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

cape man

Post by cape man »

Too cool! Love the porcupine look!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Very smooth Reid.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

cape man wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:45 pm Too cool! Love the porcupine look!
Stole the words out of my mouth!! :lol: