C17 - Progress report

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
macabre
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C17 - Progress report

Post by macabre »

Here is a quick update on my progress with the C17. After a week of stress over side panels which where an inch too long (due I am sure to a mismeasurement that I still can't find), and an alarm over my glue mix, I took a deep breath and made do. I trimmed an inch off of the side panels at the stern and adjusted my fillet mix (mixed epoxy-silica-minifibres). I decided that my glue joints are probably fine, and that with correct and generouse fillets on the inside of the boat, it will be plenty strong.

Yesterday I ground a small radius where the panels meet at the chines and bow and stern, and filled the joints with putty. I had a nice 1/2" gap at the bow that will sand nicely round before the tape. Here it is this morning before I removed the stitches:

After pulling out the zip ties and pesky galvanized steel wire I used at the beginning, I sanded the hardened glue from the day before so that it was all nice and smooth and round. Then I filled in the gaps with some more putty.

I then put the two layers of tape from the transom along the keel to the tip of the bow. The curve of the bow was a little tricky to get the tape to lay flat, but it worked out. I was planning on taping all of the seams today, but it was a lot more hot and tiring than I thought. It took a little longer than I thought it would too, about 45 minutes per peice. I'll do the rest tomorrow and maybe the next day.
- Brynn Cobb
- C17 in progress

bbuckl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bbuckl »

Wow, you got a lot done quickly!
No deadlines, project in storage

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It looks very ncie and fair, good job.
Glad to hear that the mysterious extra inch is gone. :)
What counts is the result and it looks great.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

macabre
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by macabre »

I glassed the chines yesterday. What a pain in the arse it is to keep the glass down where the angle nears 90 degrees. I have a 2-3 dime sized sections where the glass didn't dry all the way against the wood, the rest of the white you see is from fillet beneath the tape.

I had to run the biax past the transom and needed to wait for the next day to trim off for transom tape. I did this because on the keel tape that ended right at the transom, I couldn't get the little ends to stick down. They ended up drying sticking up about 1/4 inch, and I had to sand them down. With the glass going past the end I didn't have this problem and will trim flush when dry. Here is another shot(crappy compression, sorry) with the biax for the transom cut and waiting(I know, I have the messiest garage in any of the building pictures, thats why I crop my pics so close):

Transom tape next
- Brynn Cobb
- C17 in progress

UncleRalph
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by UncleRalph »

macabre wrote:I glassed the chines yesterday. What a pain in the arse it is to keep the glass down where the angle nears 90 degrees. I have a 2-3 dime sized sections where the glass didn't dry all the way against the wood,
This probably means the chine should have been rounded off a little more.

Ralph

Evildwarf

Post by Evildwarf »

Hey dude,looks excellent! 8) You just keep on,it will work out. :D 8) And I mean it looks excellent,remindes me of me. 8O Evild.

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

OH no you don't, my garage was horendous. I only cleaned it up about 5 times during the whole year of construction. And those five times were just enough surface cleaning to get the wife unit off my back. Basically I'd sweep a path to walk through. When I was finished I picked up ties and glass and wood scraps and splinters that had been there for 8 months! Home boat building requires a paradigm shift in the standards for garage cleanup. If the shift doesn't happen double or triple the building time. I gave my wife a choice, one year or three, her choice?

:P :wink:

Boat looks good so far.
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

JerryF
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JerryF »

I love the lines of this hull and you are doing a super job. This boat ought to be perfect for Monterey Bay. Keep us informed.
JerryF
GV11+ G3

macabre
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by macabre »

Thanks guys for your positive comments!
Jim, I always show the good half of my garage too, the other side looks like a hurricane hit it. I have had to fend off my wife unit too for the last year and a half, she wants to fix up the other half of the garage and put a rug and couch down there with a radio and a tv, sort of a guy hang out place. I thanked her for thinking about me, but unless she wants her rug and couch covered with epoxy and fiberglass dust she is gonna have to wait. I have been sweeping everything under the boat, its going to be a sight when I move it out to flip.
Jerry, you nailed it! I have a 180 degree view of the Monterey Bay from my house, and an unfinished boat in my garage, its driving me crazy! You live pretty close, when I get finished we should have our boats meet.

Progress:
I taped the transom seams yesterday, nothing to talk about there. I bought enough biax fabrix today for the bottom and the transom surface. I used marine fir so I need to cover all exterior surfaces with fiberglass. Which brings me to my first deviation. I decided to use the full width of the biaxial fabric from the hull, which will overlap the upper chine panels by 4 inches, I'll then finish the top of the side panels with the less expensive 4-6oz. woven tape. I had already put fillets at the bow and transom so I could run an uninterupted length of tape over the step in the panels. In order for the fabric to do the same thing I ran a small fillet along the length of the 'style line' where the chine panels overlap. I took my time deciding whether to do this or not, I realy hope I don't disapoint anyone by killing the style line! I may put a small spray rail there to make up for it.

I may glass the bottom tomorrow. I only have a gallon and a half of epoxy left, so I may have to wait until I can afford some more. :(
- Brynn Cobb
- C17 in progress