CV 16 Caravelle - Wyvern

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

CV 16 Caravelle - Wyvern

Post by chrisobee »

Please meet my new boat. She will be called Wyvern after a mythological winged dragon commonly found in coat of arms. I feel that she can now be called a boat as she can no longer be stacked against the wall.

I have in my possession the mast kit, sail kit and all the cordage and most of the hardware required to complete the boat. Fear, doubt, injury and bad luck have cost me more than a year. I have finally convinced myself to just go the garage and get started. I find it astounding how much mental discipline was required to start this project. I have never been so uncertain about anything before in my life.

This week I starting to making significant progress. A few weeks ago I got the panels all cut out and butt blocked. Then I suffered a long delay because I was concerned that the panels would not fit together well. This week I finished cutting out the frames. I am now putting the pieces all together. I am looking forward to getting the hull stitched, turned and the fillets started this weekend.

Don't let the messy garage background fool you.... I have pasted in messy garage background so as not to intimidate anyone. :D
Last edited by chrisobee on Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonnas
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jonnas »

How did you get a photo of my own messy garage to use as a background :wink: :lol: ?

Well done Chris! It's looking good and I'm sure you'll be building a beautifull sailboat.

I'm bit jealous. I should have started mine already, but unfortunately life sometimes isn't exactly as we would like it to be ...

Please keep on posting pictures.

Best regards.
JG

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Time to update the post. I know no one builds slower than me!

ks

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

ks8 wrote:Time to update the post. I know no one builds slower than me!

ks
Touche' I admit to complete inaction. I am currently putting work into my Home to keep the little woman sane and loving me. Quite the battle actually, every job I take on in the house keeps the boat in the garage just that much longer...... sigh.....

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

See if she will help with the boat when the kitchen is finished! Hopefully yes? She can vacuum up the dust while you're making it! 8)

But I wouldn't give her a respirator for valentine's day! 8O

ks

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

ks8 wrote:See if she will help with the boat when the kitchen is finished! Hopefully yes? She can vacuum up the dust while you're making it! 8)

But I wouldn't give her a respirator for valentine's day! 8O

ks
How about epoxy..... would that be OK? :P

That reminds me of one of my coworkers who told me once that she would still be married today except that her husband at the time bought her a vacume cleaner as a birthday gift. 8O

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

That reminds me of one of my coworkers who told me once that she would still be married today except that her husband at the time bought her a vacume cleaner as a birthday gift. Back to top
:doh: :help:

I don't think epoxy is a good idea, unless you tell her the boat is hers when you are finished building it...

does she enjoy boating, or would she turn it into a planter, or a jacuzzi???

ks

Leon_Steyns
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: CV 16 Caravelle - Wyvern

Post by Leon_Steyns »

ChrisObee wrote: Fear, doubt, injury and bad luck have cost me more than a year. I have finally convinced myself to just go the garage and get started. I find it astounding how much mental discipline was required to start this project. I have never been so uncertain about anything before in my life.
Chris,

Congratulations on your progress so far! It looks very good to me. As for your comments I quoted here, I can relate to you completely... 8O I had exactly the same feelings and will probably get some more, but once you're out on the water it will all get blown away!!! I spent the better part of four (yes, that's "4"!) years to build my Caravelle in my back yard. At some point I seriously considered terminating my project, reversing to a Stich&Glue bookshelf (glad I didn't)...

I like the name "Wyvern" and the story behind it. And don't worry about the clean garage workshop: too clean a workplace means no work is being done! :doh: :lol:
Greets, Leon Steyns.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ks8 »

AH, the small victories lead to the final one. I'm glad I finally put some primer on the CB case. Maybe by this weekend it will be painted and in the boat??? :lol:

Four years... sounds familiar.

Bright finishing slows things down very much and at least doubles the masking required. Getting closer...

Are you going to play catch up ChrisObee, or like everyone else, is your's already floating? 8O 8O

Sincerely,
ks

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

ks8 wrote:AH, the small victories lead to the final one. I'm glad I finally put some primer on the CB case. Maybe by this weekend it will be painted and in the boat??? :lol:

Four years... sounds familiar.

Bright finishing slows things down very much and at least doubles the masking required. Getting closer...

Are you going to play catch up ChrisObee, or like everyone else, is your's already floating? 8O 8O

Sincerely,
ks
No not floating. :(

I have a long way to go. I do however feel a burst of determination coming on. My problems are self doubt and time availability. I just have to suck it up and start moving.

Concerning the center board I am nearly convinced that I will go for the simpler dagger board rather than the center board.