GV10 Stop and Start Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

GV10 Stop and Start Project

Post by MikeyGnz »

I need a new dinghy to get out to our big boat on the mooring as well as a bit of fishing when it is not worth putting the big boat in the water. Since i have an unused 10hp outboard and i want something that will plane with this and 2 people i have decided to build a GV10.

Given the cost of plywood and resin here in NZ and the fact that the dinghy will be left out for renters of our holiday home to use i am adapting the plans to build from aluminium.

I've been going for a few days already fitting in an hour here and there as i can over my christmas break. Photos to come.
Last edited by MikeyGnz on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GV10 Christmas project

Post by Jeff »

MikeyGnz, Welcome to the Builders Forum!! It will be nice to follow a aluminium build!! Get those photos coming!! Happy holidays, Jeff

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Hi MikeyGnz, I love my standard plywood GV10 but an aluminum version would be very interesting. Looking forward to following your build.
Alan.

peterrivers
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by peterrivers »

Hi, I have a completed Gv10 in Christchurch. Would love to see yours when done if you don't mind?
Cheers
Pete

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Got a bit done today. Over the last few days I've measured, marked out and done all the cutting. Tomorrow night I start the fun bits - actually building.

Measuring and marking

Cutting

All ready to start on reinforcing the frames tomorrow
Last edited by MikeyGnz on Sat May 16, 2020 1:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

peterrivers wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:47 am Hi, I have a completed Gv10 in Christchurch. Would love to see yours when done if you don't mind?
Cheers
Pete
Sure thing. I'm hoping for a relatively quick build and only aiming for a workboat finish. The limit will be how much welding I get out of my Argon bottle.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

MikeyGnz, how did you choose the thickness of the aluminum? Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Definitely following this build!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

Jeff wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:13 am MikeyGnz, how did you choose the thickness of the aluminum? Jeff
Hi Jeff.

I googled the weight of a sheet of 1/4" marine ply then calculated the thickness of Aluminium required to give the same weight. The result was just over 2mm thick. I rounded up to 2.5mm as I will not have the weight of all the resin in the boat. This should give me the same weight hull to get the same performance as the plywood version. So pretty much I am guessing/hoping it will be strong enough.

Many aluminium jet boats use 2.5mm for the sides so I am not too worried about strength. The plans show a pair of 20x40mm bottom stiffeners, I will use 40x40x3mm aluminium angle for the same purpose. I will lightly tack them on initially and if it seems too flexible I can grind the tacks and instead of 1 stiffener halfway between chine and keel I can add a second so there are 2 each one third of the way.

2.5-3mm is also a good thickness to weld. Any thinner and it is easy to blow holes while any thicker needs much more weld prep to grind Vs to get full penetration.

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

A question for all the GV10 owners.

The plans show the middle seat on top of frame 2. I plan to add an additional frame the width of the seat forward or back from the middle frame with the seat bridging the two frames to form a flotation chamber. If you had to move your middle seat by 140mm/5.5" would you go forward or back?

Thanks

Mike