FS19 (-5%) in GA

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by GuyP »

The adventure begins! Been mulling over the metric plans about a year (including Browndog’s FS19 masterpiece). Pulled the trigger and started the jig about a month ago. Picked up 22 sheets of plywood, 13 gallons epoxy and the rest of the supplies in the BOM on Tuesday at BBCentral. Met Jeff and Reid who were the nice guys I expected after numerous email, text and phone conversations. I’m new at stitch and glue but have built 2 glued lapstrakes: 12 foot Ellen sailboat by Jon Brooks and 15 ft Design 54 sailboat by George Whisstock (lengthened a foot and added center console and 40 hp Yamaha). I’m in no rush and will eeek into this slowly (as fast as regular life and epoxy cure temperatures allow). I’m looking forward to gigs and advice from FORUM members.
Jig going together
Jig going together
GuyP

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS19 (-5%) in GA

Post by BarraMan »

22 sheets of plywood
??

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I thought the same thing so I looked at the plans and they do call for 20 sheets. Getting a little extra plywood seems like a good idea.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, it was nice meeting Guy!! Long drive on his part but he had great weather!! Jeff

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Welcome to the forum!
I'll be following along :D
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Glad to see another FS19 (or 18.5) being started. Since you are in Georgia, as am I, let me know if you ever need help and I‘d be happy to help in whatever way I can.

Best wishes,
Jordy

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

With a gunwale the nesting plan shows 21. That does not include the console. Thanks for the good wishes and offers of help. I’ll be taking y’all up on them.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I’m almost through with jig construction. I’m planning on using the motor well bulkhead as the frame attached to the jig. Questions: 1) do I attach the motor well sides to the bulkhead and attached them also to the transom as part of the jig? 2) How do I determine the height of the motor well bulkhead above the sole? Do I decide how far below the gunwale I want the aft deck to be and go from there?

Thanks

Guy

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

GuyP wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:10 pm Questions: 1) do I attach the motor well sides to the bulkhead and attached them also to the transom as part of the jig?
No, just temporary screws.

2) How do I determine the height of the motor well bulkhead above the sole? Do I decide how far below the gunwale I want the aft deck to be and go from there?
Use the baseline. You must draw the baseline on all molds, frames and bulkheads and always level based on the BL.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Yes sir. Baseline is on all my molds. I don’t see a drawing that shows that height above the baseline. Looking at sheet 314/9 it lists 558 mm (before scaling) on forward edge of motor well side. I can work with that and get close.

How about the attachment question?

Thanks