FS-17 Again

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS-17 Again

Post by Rover1 »

Hi All
I am probably going to pull the go lever on a new FS-17 Kit.
Had a very tough couple of years because my back failed in a major way resulting in major surgery.
Ultimately I gave away my original FS-17 to my brother. Regret that now that I am feeling better.
End result, I still need a boat.
FS17 is very good and while I would have liked the FS-19 just not enough space in the shed. 8 foot wide boat will not work in an 8 foot wide shed with 7 foot door.
Has anyone done a tiller version and if so what size motor did you use?
I want to keep the layout simple as possible. No center console maybe a small side console. Nothing under the deck. Simple.

Regards
Rover1

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS-17 Again

Post by Jeff »

Rover1, welcome back and glad you are better and ready to get in a boat again!! I am sure FS17 have been built and used tillers but I do not know of one built in the last five years. Give the guys here an opportunity to respond!! Again, welcome back!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I believe JM has posted about one built light with a tiller 30hp. If memory is correct 30hp worked just fine as long as the boat was keep light. Pretty hard to get much more simple than that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jeff there was one built shortly after the plans came out. I don't remember who built it. Check with Jacques on the max HP for a tiller steer, as it will be less than a console steer. Fuzz you beat me to it. :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Tom1, great to hear from you. I had just asked Eric if he had heard from you lately!!! Jeff

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Thought about buying a used boat. That did not last long. She Who Must be Obeyed said that building one would aid in my recovery from the back surgery....!!
Anyway, I had a Tohatsu 50 the last time and Just priced a Suziki 40 with tiller. Worth the difference in price? My experience with the dealer of the Tohatsu was positive but I think the owner has a bad case of High blood pressure that is untreated. Turned me off the shop as a result.
Opinions on the Suzuki, Mercuries, Yamahas and Tohatsu Engine? My plan is Suzuki but not locked in. Closest dealer.

Next I intend to fully glass the outside and inside, mostly. Plans do not seem to indicate glassing the sides is not needed. If I can get away without on the inside I will. The outside and deck take a lot of abuse.
Plan to install gunwales 6" wide should be enough. These will also be glassed.
Anything that is not specifically glassed in the plans will be done with 6oz.
Where can I find, or what are the best options for a live well? Plumbing Layout. Best bang for the buck fish finder/GPS, Should also be capable of side scan. Separate units may be acceptable
Starting to move....slowly

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I have a brand new tiller kit for a Mercury in that size range if you find a good deal on one without a tiller.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

There's an FS17 out there built heavy with a 30hp remote. Got 25mph.

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... r&start=30

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

THanks Narfi,
I will keep this in mind. Not locked into any brand yet. 30HP is likely to be enough for me. I had a Tohatsu 50hp
on the original boat. Never struggled going anywhere.
Rover1