Building an XF20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Building an XF20

Post by gpratt »

Just started on an XF20. Got the stringers, sides, front and rear transom, and part to the tunnel cut out. Will keep ya posted on progress.

Checking in on transom thread from Boo. I cut the transom 4" higher than the plans show just in case. It's easier to trim it down than to add more wood. May not know the correct measurement until the jackplate and engine are trial fitted and holes marked for drilling.

More later.

dwhiteboy_672002
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

XF20

Post by dwhiteboy_672002 »

Hey gpratt, how's it going? I've just ordered my plans for the XF20 and soon my journey towards this project will be on its way. May I ask if you might give a few pointers as you go along to help others and myself in what not to do,. Like the tunnel,. Don't know yet whats up there but a little info would be great for when I start,. Thanks and hope you have a blast building this boat,. Hope I do as well.. :D/

gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gpratt »

whiteboy

Is this your first boat? If yes you picked a good one to get the hang of it. Anytime you have doubts post your concerns here and you'll get help.

Layed out the bottom panels tonight and will cut them plus some other parts out Sat. Then decide how to hold this thing off the ground to put it together. Most likely use horses till the first roll then rig something up on wheels to do the glass sanding outside. I didn't sand out side on my OD16 and my I paid the price later. Everything was covered in glass dust. Half the stuff in the garage still is!

Let's do it!

Boo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Boo »

Hey G ,

Them Reds had better be ready to rumble !!

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

Boo wrote:Them Reds had better be ready to rumble !!
The Cardinals won the NL Central. The Reds finished fourth.

dwhiteboy_672002
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

8) Hey gpratt how's the boat coming? I've received my plans last week and was over looking them to see if it was possible :idea: to raise the sides a little and make it a center console? Anyone have any ideas for this? :-k

LIVEWIRE
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by LIVEWIRE »

if you had asked that 6 or 8 months ago like i did you would have been flamed for sure, but it seems the flamers have changed their tune a little since one has been built . there is a recent thread with discussions of soling and putting a center console on it.

gpratt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by gpratt »

white boy

I worked on the boat a good bit this weekend. I have all the parts cut out except the casting platform. It can't get done until the hull is completed since its getting moved up to the sheer line.

Started glueing up the parts today. I'm using the Silver Tip with slow hardner. I've used S3 with medium and liked it. Jury is still out on the slow. I'll know more in the morning. It's been several hours and it's still wet to the touch. When using medium I could wait a couple of hours and it would be starting to setup. That's when I'd add the glass over fillets. This slow may add to my building time. If it does I won't be using it again.

I have pictures to post just haven't done it yet.

Stay tuned!!

Rick
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rick »

LIVEWIRE wrote:if you had asked that 6 or 8 months ago like i did you would have been flamed for sure, but it seems the flamers have changed their tune a little since one has been built .
I apologize for picking nits, but there have been very few flames on this board in the last two years. For the record, writing "I think that's a bad idea" is not a flame. A flame is a personal attack. Saying "Here's why I think your idea is wrong" is just an opinion on a technical subject.

dwhiteboy_672002
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gpratt
Sounds like your coming along great on the boat,. What type of climate have you had there in the last few days? I worked on a few boats here during the summer time and man what a time I had, So I'm thinking of what type or hardener to use myself,. Hope things go smother for you here on out,. Would be great to see the pic's when you post them,.