JonnyMac's FS13

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

JonnyMac's FS13

Post by jonnymac »

Hi. My name is Jonny Mac and I want to build a boat. I really want to build a larger boat like a DE25 or GT27 or maybe a future not designed boat. But I figured a small boat would be a good choice to get used to working with a the materials and trying to make it look good. I'm temporarily located to the New Hampshire coast for the next year, and I thought it would be great to have a light boat, I can put on my truck and take different places. And fish off if I want. I almost bought a CNC paddleboard kit when as I was checking out I remembered an old thread mentioning a similar project here. So I bought the FS13 plans and here I am. I'm not quite ready to start building, so I went to my local maker space and used the laser cutter to cut out the parts. And build this model. It's not pretty, but it works. :D
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg
Attachments
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: JonnyMac's FS13

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good luck. Neat model. Can't wait to see your build.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Welcome to the group. Another boat built in New Hampshire is a great thing. There’s a few of us building here in New England and a good few completed excellent examples of what you can achieve. Do you have somewhere warm to work?
Alan.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Fair WX Pilot wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:53 am Welcome to the group. Another boat built in New Hampshire is a great thing. There’s a few of us building here in New England and a good few completed excellent examples of what you can achieve. Do you have somewhere warm to work?
The maker space near me has some floor area you rent, so I'm working out what size area I need and how I would set it up. It's a heated space at the back of the building past where all the different workshops are. So thankfully I have a comfortable area. They couldn't really tell me what the temperature of that area is though just that it was warm. so when I get closer to the epoxy/paint stuff I'll bring a logging thermometer and see if I need to build a plastic tent for the critical steps.

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

jonnymac wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:40 am
Fair WX Pilot wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:53 am Welcome to the group. Another boat built in New Hampshire is a great thing. There’s a few of us building here in New England and a good few completed excellent examples of what you can achieve. Do you have somewhere warm to work?
The maker space near me has some floor area you rent, so I'm working out what size area I need and how I would set it up. It's a heated space at the back of the building past where all the different workshops are. So thankfully I have a comfortable area. They couldn't really tell me what the temperature of that area is though just that it was warm. so when I get closer to the epoxy/paint stuff I'll bring a logging thermometer and see if I need to build a plastic tent for the critical steps.
Sounds great, very envious of the amount of room you may have. With the exception of paint I haven’t found the need to critically control temperature. Things just cure a little slower or a little faster depending on how warm you keep it(within reason). I prefer slower as it gives me more time to work. A tent or covering would be great to protect everything from all the dust you’re about to make. May stop the others in the building getting upset.
Alan.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

We need another FS13 builder. The SK14's have been out pacing me ... :oops:

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

making some progress. didn’t take as much time cutting some of the panels as i should have. hope to have some epoxy holding her together tonight.
Attachments
91D48DC8-E764-4CFF-8A82-125D5DC59B49.jpeg

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Looking good! :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

Thanks everyone. I have the stretchers and frames glued in and the internal fiberglass work done. i got the cleats for the doubler in and most of the cleats cut. I’m using paulownia for the cleats and the rubrail. Its 2/3 of the density of douglas fir with most of the strength. it was about $150 for enough to do the whole boat. I learned the hard way that when mixing the epoxy for the tabbing it wasn’t stiff enough and some of it slowly moved out of place on me. so there is some extra epoxy on the bottom. 😁
Attachments
F7E37353-452B-4654-995E-80FC4A436766.jpeg
6E344737-FC46-4BD2-99B5-117FA3B9844D.jpeg
881B0861-8679-4E13-BD20-0F03E0893247.jpeg
299498E1-924C-4BF4-9976-1F24C97F7594.jpeg