Cameron's FS14LS+5%

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

Hey everyone. Thought I would get my build thread started. I have a thread that I was using to ask questions and get started, but now that the build is going, I figure it fitting to start one in the Builder Progress Forum.

Here the link to my pre-planning thread: https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65270

A recap of the build so far:
Order placed for starter materials on 9/27. Built the strongback and cut the bow mold and Mold C out of some 1/2 plywood I had laying around the week leading up to driving to Ft. Pierce to pickup materials.

Picked up my order on 10/2. On the way home from BBC, I actually met up with a FB Marketplace seller and purchased a Tohatsu 25HP Short Shaft in pretty good shape. More on that later.

I had to travel for work the following week, so aside from getting the motor stand built, nothing really happened. I got to work as soon as I returned, though. Since I'm building this in a 2 car garage, I had to perform the next sequence a little different than what I think others had done. With my strong back in one "bay" and a few 2x4's as sacrificial cutting boards in the other, I laid out the panels on the strongback and cut them on the floor. By 10/19 I was done with cutting the hull panels, frames, transom, and stringers. The Frames were mounted onto the strongback at this point.

Since then, I've spliced the stringers with Butt Blocks.

This weekend, I've spliced the side panels with fiberglass tape and bonded the 2 transom panels.

Then just last night, I started the bottom panels splice.

This afternoon, I flipped the panels and have applied the fiberglass tape to the other side and mounted the transom.

She's starting to take shape! 8)

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Cameron's FS14LS+5%

Post by bamaguy0 »

A little on the motor. The motor cover is from a Nissan, but the model number is most definitely a Tohatsu. Circa 1996. I REALLY wanted to snag a 2 stroke Yamaha, but I couldn't beat the price.

It's currently rigged as a poor man's tiller. Previous owner had fabricated a steering handle out of some angle aluminum and a flat bar with a remote throttle control. He was just reaching over the to the gear lever on the side to shift fwd and reverse. I plan to rig it properly for remote control. I want to build a small side console for the boat. I'm going to use this image as inspiration. I've already purchased a 2nd hand Nissan Remote Throttle control for it.

The motor is in pretty good shape for it's age. Good compression. The previous owner gave it a cheap rattle can spray job. Because it's main intended use is in saltwater, I want to make sure the motor is as protected as possible so over the course of the build process, I plan on stripping it down and recoating, including with the zinc primer. I'll also be giving it a once over to make sure everything is in tip-top shape. Carb rebuild, Water Pump rebuild, and possibly a lower unit seal replacement are on the list, just to be safe.

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield »

Looking good!
Previous builds: FL14, NC16, and others...

Current build: FL14 (+10%)

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Coming along great Cameron! I'm quite keen to see how your side console works out, it's something I consider often. Once concern I had was the load(me) on one side when alone in such small boat and if it was going to make the boat list/lean/pull. I guess a few batteries on the other side could balance it out, depending on how many batteries you weigh.

I'm a novice builder and can't offer a lot of expertise but I'll tell you a few of my biggest blunders so far with my FS14LS:

1. After stitching and before gluing the side panels, ensure that they are in contact with the frames all the way 'down" to the deck(the boat being upside down). I failed to do this and ended up with a ton of splay.

2. After glassing the bottom, let it cure completely and then knock down all the stitching before starting to fair. This would have saved me a lot of time and material.

Enjoy!

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress bamaguy0!! Look forward to hearing about your motor as I did not know Nissan had built outboard motors!! Jeff

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:10 pm Coming along great Cameron! I'm quite keen to see how your side console works out, it's something I consider often. Once concern I had was the load(me) on one side when alone in such small boat and if it was going to make the boat list/lean/pull. I guess a few batteries on the other side could balance it out, depending on how many batteries you weigh.

I'm a novice builder and can't offer a lot of expertise but I'll tell you a few of my biggest blunders so far with my FS14LS:

1. After stitching and before gluing the side panels, ensure that they are in contact with the frames all the way 'down" to the deck(the boat being upside down). I failed to do this and ended up with a ton of splay.

2. After glassing the bottom, let it cure completely and then knock down all the stitching before starting to fair. This would have saved me a lot of time and material.

Enjoy!

Jeff
Good tips! I'll be sure to note that! I did notice the stitching in my panel splices and how big and rough it is. That would not be fun to fill and fair!

Regarding the side console, I plan to do some CG calulations when I'm laying out the locations of hatches and equipment. Here are a few things I've thought about so far.

I don't expect to go out alone very often, but when I do, I don't see shifting closer to the center that big of a deal. I had an old Ashcraft 14 ft boat a while back that had a side console but you kinda had to ride closer to center. It was about the same beam as well. I don't mind this. Just didn't want a full blown center console taking up floor space.

Live/baitwell. I would like to incorporate a baitwell into the boat. Maybe an ideal location is the port side aft deck. It would act as ballast when I am alone. I don't see making much more than a 5 gallon well though, so impact would be minimal.

I do intend on having a buddy or my wife ride next to me when they come along. That means I will need to plan on having as much weight forward as possible. Fuel tank and batteries will be under the forward deck and I do want to have a trolling motor so that will add some more weight forward.

If I'm way off base I'd love to be called out now before I get too far along, but I know I've seen similar sized boats with small side consoles, so I don't think I'm way out in left field on this one.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bamaguy0 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:20 pm I do intend on having a buddy or my wife ride next to me when they come along.
Great point, I had not thought of that. it puts both of you fairly far back. I'm great at throwing out generally bad ideas, so, maybe move the console a little forward and use some fold-down/fold-forward jump seats to move both parties a little forward.
Last edited by VT_Jeff on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug »

You'll probably want to move your poling platform so the weight of the person poling is directly above, or better yet, just forward of the outboard. I've never seen or poled a flats skiff with a platform so far aft, and it could cause the boat to squat. Just something to consider. Build on. Mike

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Appreciate that feedback Mike, I had suspected it may raise some eyebrows like that. My hope is to keep the rear deck usable for casting and have a platform as well, which is why I have it so far back, but I'll look to move it forward, if it's over the engine it shouldn't take up much working room.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:09 am Appreciate that feedback Mike, I had suspected it may raise some eyebrows like that. My hope is to keep the rear deck usable for casting and have a platform as well, which is why I have it so far back, but I'll look to move it forward, if it's over the engine it shouldn't take up much working room.
I agree with seaslug keep the platform over the motor. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978