panga 22

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

panga 22

Post by jljones »

I used 5 oz Kevlar on a cedar dinghy and it was great, I was thinking it would be worth the money to use it on the outside of the hull of the panga 22, stronger and lighter, any thoughts ?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: panga 22

Post by fallguy1000 »

Changes to the hull glass schedule require the intervention of the designer.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

jljones wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:34 pm I used 5 oz Kevlar on a cedar dinghy and it was great, I was thinking it would be worth the money to use it on the outside of the hull of the panga 22, stronger and lighter, any thoughts ?
You thinking of a kevlar biax cloth and biax tape or just a kevlar weave? Kevlar has good abrasion and puncture resistance but the role of the fabric in these boats is structural, not just protective like with your dingy.

I used kevlar on the bottom of my drift boat specifically for abrasion, but its design did not require any glass for strength, that was provided by the ply schedule.

In any case, welcome, hope you get the info you seek and build an amazing boat.

Jeff
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I guess we need you to answer some questions first. Where will you be using your PG22 for? Will it be run up on shells or reefs? Will it be mostly trailered?

I ask this because Kevlar in large areas is difficult to get to lay down properly. It can be a real PITA. It is not normally needed on these boats unless you are in unusually abusive condition. Several coats of graphite have proven adequate even for those in oyster bed territory.

I very much like the PG22 and you take pictures of your build and document it down it the Builders section.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

My two cents, and based on the PG20 plans.

The bottom is already very sturdy. 9mm plywood with glass both sides, and the option of using a 1708 cloth on the bottom outside to increase further. If abrasion is an issue, then you probably won't want Kevlar as I understand it is difficult to repair.

I personally would glue thin sheets or strips of aluminium flat bar or UHMWPE to any protruding parts, and call it done. That is what I did on mine. 3mm Al flat bar on the keel, and UHMWPE on the chines, and rubrails.

memorablemoose
New Poster
New Poster

Post by memorablemoose »

You thinking of a kevlar biax cloth and biax tape or just a kevlar weave? Kevlar has good abrasion and puncture resistance but the role of the fabric in these boats is structural, not just protective like with your dingy.

I used kevlar on the bottom of my drift boat specifically for abrasion fishing equipment in Dubai , but its design did not require any glass for strength, that was provided by the ply schedule.
Last edited by memorablemoose on Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

Xynole or Dynel for abrasion only . Kevlar would be better on the interior for puncture or flex . If you are going to all the trouble with Kevlar just spend the money on S-2 glass .

jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jljones »

panga 22, it does not show the DWL and I would like to know how much weight before water would come in the suppers? Plans say 8 inch draft, also 7 1/4 from bottom to cockpit sole

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Aramid should be burried deep in the laminate of wood boats. It is incredibly hygroscopic, and if any of it gets abraded or otherwise exposed to water, it will soak it up like a sponge.
Last edited by cape_fisherman on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape_fisherman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 pm Aramid should be burried deep in the laminate of wood boats. It is incredibly hydroscopic, and if any of it gets abraded or otherwise exposed to water, it will soak it up like a sponge.
<-----------read this three times

I have aramid buried in the laminates of the beaching keels. Only there is the keel is suffered on rocks for a long time.

Abrading it also results in unrepairable fuzz.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495