SK14 Build in NC

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
huckleberry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SK14 Build in NC

Post by huckleberry »

Just moved to North Carolina from Texas and pulled the trigger on the SK14 build I've been looking at for a while. Picked up my kit on Tuesday and got the sides and hull pieces glued together as well as the transom. Started stitching last night, progress photos below. I've been using penny nails as the spacers which seem to be working out alright. Plan to drop the framing and install the transom tonight and start spot welding.
So far the only spot I see that might have an issue with a gap in the pieces is the keel line towards the bow, its pretty tight right there. Hoping the transom install may relieve that a little bit.
Welcome to any constructive criticism! I plan on trying to take as many pictures as possible and update often as I can.

Also, is that gap between the hull pieces at the tip of the bow too much? Couldn't really think of a way to tighten it up any more than that.
IMG_4117.jpg
IMG_4116.jpg
IMG_4115.jpg
IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg
IMG_4111.jpg
IMG_4110.jpg
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_4108.jpg
IMG_4107.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg
IMG_4105.jpg

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SK14 Build in NC

Post by Reid »

Huckleberry,

Welcome! Your progress looks good. You can try and drill some extra stitch holes and add extra zip ties to try and close the bow gap a little. You may need to loosen some of the zip ties further back in order to create a little relief so the bow can come together. The bottom panels look pretty tight in the area 6"-12" back from the bow, maybe if you loosen that seam that will allow the bow tip to come together. Some times you need to play with the zip ties a little in order to get your desired result.

Keep up the good work!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

huckleberry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huckleberry »

Reid wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:22 am Huckleberry,

Welcome! Your progress looks good. You can try and drill some extra stitch holes and add extra zip ties to try and close the bow gap a little. You may need to loosen some of the zip ties further back in order to create a little relief so the bow can come together. The bottom panels look pretty tight in the area 6"-12" back from the bow, maybe if you loosen that seam that will allow the bow tip to come together. Some times you need to play with the zip ties a little in order to get your desired result.

Keep up the good work!
-Reid
Yeah that's definitely the tightest spot. The issue I was having was the two hull panels trying to overlap on each other at the keel line in that area when adjusting the bow. Ill try to loosen the ties in a few places and see what I get. Thanks!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I'd say you will be fine to fill that gap after it's stitched together. Why the gap is there? My guess is that the bottom ply is being stubborn about taking the full bend near the bow; if you check the overall length carefully you may find your hull is a little longer than the plans indicate. As has been stated many times here, fairness of the hull shape is what's most important, don't introduce any kinks or flats while trying to torture things to plan perfection.
Hank

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I built the SK14 and struggled a bit there. Never got it perfect but in the end it didn't matter. That gap will fill easily enough with thickened epoxy. Just keep your gaps open with the spacers. I'd try to loosen the zip tie at the top of the bow panel and wedge in some more spacer to see if that would flair out the panels a bit and push them in at the bottom. I wouldn't go too far with the fiddle though 'cuz I agree with PeeWee with the probably good 'nuff judgement.

Dougster

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Moving right along for sure! Looks good! Watch out for hard spots where the panels touch. They could be starved for glue if they are too tight. Advice is was given...

Where in NC are you?

huckleberry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huckleberry »

Much appreciated, I’ve finished filleting and am currently working on sanding in preparation for glass. I know that’s the hard way of doing things, was just a little nervous to go all at once with wet on wet since this is my first build.

Im in Durham, but right on the Raleigh city limits.

huckleberry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huckleberry »

Got everything filleted last week, followed by FG tape this week. It was definitely a learning experience and started out pretty rocky but eventually started getting the hang of it. I wasnt confident in my pace of work so I did not work wet on wet, but I fully intend to on the sole and hull now that I have a better idea of the process. The sanding was a pain but a 1/2" wide belt sander was a life saver for sanding the fillets.
Pickup up some SYP that I've ripped into 3/4" square sticks for the cleats and will rip some SYP 1x4x12' in half to use for rubrails/inwales. Plan to start installing cleats this afternoon and then the rub rails before foaming.
Grab rail showed up earlier this week (via BBC) and looks fantastic. Should have some Kennedy tie down hardware coming in tomorrow as well. Originally I wanted to make the grab rail removable but it falls partially on the cleats. I've been brainstorming some ideas to work around it but it sounds like a little more of an undertaking than its worth. If there are any tips or tricks anyone has used it would be much appreciated!

Also, found a used 2020 Mercury 8hp 4 stroke online for a fair price that I'm planning on picking up next weekend, which should be the last piece of the puzzle minus paint!

Been really enjoying build so far, the pooch was enjoying it a little too much and has since been banished from the garage after rolling around in saw dust and tracking it all over the house.
IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4160.jpg
IMG_4132.jpg
IMG_4130.jpg
65145508392__45BF02AC-FE16-4E39-BC61-934D7064A4B1.jpg
IMG_4166.jpg
IMG_4165.jpg
IMG_4164.jpg
IMG_4163.jpg
IMG_4162.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin