Panga 22 Slow Cooker

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Panga 22 Slow Cooker

Post by PapaDave »

The PG22 has been on my list for some time now and I decided to keep the build momentum rolling. I spent time on these boats fishing in Baja California in my teens and always loved them. The plan is a 60 hp tiller with comfortable seating for 2-3 adults, open deck space, and a foldable sun canopy. Main use will be inshore fishing, free diving, and beach landing. I am going to proceed at a reasonable pace, so "Slow Cooker" is in the subject line. Looking forward to sharing the experience. Jig components are cut and ready for assembly.
Dave
Attachments
IMG_0359.jpeg

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Panga 22 Slow Cooker

Post by BB Sig »

BBV is strong in this one...

Congratulations on the new build! Looking forward to another great build!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hi Dave good start. With the Panga's I would not recommend tiller steering, they need to be as balanced as possible. With your weight in the back and the motors you will have water coming in the scuppers when you stop unless you plug them when you stop. Also put as much weight forward as possible, gas tank and batteries.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Good point about balance issues and scuppers Tom. I will certainly need to factor that into the final deck layout and weight distribution. Much better to ponder those details now before the flip.
Dave

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Finished the strongback and I will be using it as a table to join all of my panels prior to completing the jig with hull forms. The boat just barely fits the building space length with enough room to walk around and work.
Dave
Attachments
IMG_0428.jpeg

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Cut out my panel sections and prepping to glue a few puzzle-joints together. The one displayed is a 3/8 inch bottom panel.
Attachments
IMG_0446.jpeg

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Damn, Dave! Wasting no time!

I had to disconnect my steering the other day and get home via tiller(my weird boat has both). Cant tell you how much better the experience is with a wheel, I was shocked. Got it fixed asap and am back at the helm.

I find those Pangas really alluring. No doubt that yours will set a high bar.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Hi Jeff,
She is coming together. The tiller control is certainly not for everyone, but I enjoy the simplicity. Nice to see you out on the boat with the family catching fish. That is the best part of building a boat for me. I was able to glue together a few panels, cut the transom, and splash a first coat of color on the 1/4 scale panga test model. The color is Chinese Red from Kirby Paint. White bottom paint to follow with a grey stripe at the chine. Trying to get all the panels stitched up on the jig prior to the Winter temperature drop. Thanks for checking on the progress,
Dave
Attachments
IMG_0527.jpeg
IMG_0526.jpeg
IMG_0516.jpeg

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Cut out the stringers and getting ready to glue the puzzle joints and laminate the sections together with offset joints. The bottom and side panels are assembled and resting against the wall. Stringers, transom lamination, and then back to completing the jig. A lot of fun so far. Almost ready to place my fiberglass order.
Attachments
IMG_0625.jpeg

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Placed my fiberglass cloth and tape order with Reid and Jeff today for the Panga. Not ready for it yet but trying to stay ahead with materials. Thank you for always being so helpful with supplies.
Dave