stretched DE25

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

stretched DE25

Post by dennisb »

Hello

I am in the process of finalizing my decision to build the DE 25, or a stretched version of it (10%).

Should I consider adding an additional layer of glass to the inside and outside of the hull if I stretch it 10%.

If the answer is yes, what weight of cloth should be used for the additional layers.

Thanks

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: stretched DE25

Post by jacquesmm »

Double the bottom fiberglass.
Also, check the max. recommended HP first. If you plan go install more like many do, that also requires an increase in fiberglass.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Hello Jacques,

Thanks for the quick response.

My plan is to use a 140 HP motor (max), looking at the Suzuki or Tohatsu, motor weight less than 400 pounds.
Will I have any problems with this set-up.

Thanks

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

A 140HP will work fine, max HP per study plans is 200, Once you finish and want help selecting the right prop, let me know.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Thanks for the input

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

I am looking at the possibility of making the bottom of the stretched DE25 1/2" thick instead of 3/8". I know it will be harder to bend the panels. This is in addition to doubling the bottom fiberglass as jacquesmm suggested.

Looking for comments/feedback on if this is a good idea. I think this will add ~ 50# to the hull weight.

Thanks for the input

Dennis

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

dennisb wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:36 pm I am looking at the possibility of making the bottom of the stretched DE25 1/2" thick instead of 3/8". I know it will be harder to bend the panels. This is in addition to doubling the bottom fiberglass as jacquesmm suggested.

Looking for comments/feedback on if this is a good idea. I think this will add ~ 50# to the hull weight.

Thanks for the input
Dennis there is no need to do this as Jacques said just add an extra layer of fiberglass. As the designer he knows what you need. No need to deal with having to scarf the 1/2 inch ply or the extra expence.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

dennisb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dennisb »

Tom, thanks for the input

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

100% agree with Tom

Except, the classic amateur error is to overbuild and add too much weight at every turn.

The hull at 3/8" with glass is already thicker than needed by some margin.

So, avoid the temptation to build a 'beefy' boat. It is unneeded.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

The designer once described it as a possibility for a stretched DE25 IIRC. I think it was this poster that asked the question a few months back so I'm not sure why he's asking again. Anyway the problem is bending the 1/2", so the recommendation from the designer is 3/8 with two layers. This will be not much more labor for the whole boat and very strong. Roughly the same as 18mm ply with a light exterior glass according to Jaccques.