OT16 - ply bottom and strip plank on top?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
madtom
New Poster
New Poster

OT16 - ply bottom and strip plank on top?

Post by madtom »

Just started on the Otter 16. I know we're supposed to build to plans and not start messing with things. But I can't help but wonder.... would it be a huge mistake if the bottom half of the boat were stitch and glue and the top panels were strip planked (and covered inside and out)? This would be painted below the waterline and left bright above.
I guess I'm wondering how much it would affect the strength of the hull?

Also, I don't know if it matters, but no sailing. Just rowing and putt-putt-putt with a little 2 horse at idle speed.
Has anyone tried this?
Thanks for any advice at all.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OT16 - ply bottom and strip plank on top?

Post by jonnymac »

I can’t give you a technical answer, and I would be really interesting to see the build! We love some pictures around here 😀

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

As long as you build the the stringers, frames and hull up to the plans the deck and any thing else like deck and insides can be built how you want how you want it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

madtom
New Poster
New Poster

Post by madtom »

Thanks for the heads up Tom. So it sounds like a definite no, on using plywood stitch and glue for the bottom 2/3 and strip planks for the top 1/3 of the hull sides.
Shoot thats too bad. I think it would have been gorgeous.
Thanks for the help.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I wonder if you could veneer them on top of the existing construction method to the outside. so you could get the looks, but still retain original strength.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I have been told the bottom supplies the strength, all the sides do is keep the water out. I know this is not totally true but it does point out what is under the most strain. Before I gave up on this dream I would get the final word from JM.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

I would sketchup where exactly you are thinking of making the material change. so its easier to see your intentions. I think you’ll get a more educated response.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

The 2 materials will flex at different rates and have different strengths/weights. I would just do the whole built out of strips then paint and bright finish where you want.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

thats a really good point. the forms needed to do the strips, are different thickness than the ply forms too.