OD16 - Inshallah almost done! :P

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

OD16 - Inshallah almost done! :P

Post by DrBones »

Well folks, I've got the engine mounted and rigged! I glued the center console down and still need to put fillets on the center console at the floor line (I'm not sure if I'll put fiberglass tape there or not... I'll take your input)

Here some pics:

Since she's been sitting in my carport, I need to wash the interior down and do some touch up painting on the outside..scratches, etc. But nothing big:

Since I bought a 1988 40 HP Johnson outboard with side mount controls, I ended up fabricating an aluminum mount for that. Buddy of mine had some 1/4" aluminum sheets and we sawed it to a template that I'd made and then bent it with a sheet metal bender. - Arrgh, what a job that was..isn't that easy bending 1/4" aluminum by pure muscle power!

I also got a used helm and teleflex steering cable for $25...but unfortunately I broke off the socket that the teleflex steering screws to on the helm - it's a plastic helm. So, right now I've got a bid going on eBay for a 'new' one..cross your fingers!

I used a PVC adapter for the teleflex steering, I had to do this separate, since it's just not flexible enough to go through the side as the rest of the cables. Here I used a boot from Stickershock Marine at $10.00 ...ridiculous for a piece of plastic and a zip tie! - Oh well, looks nice though :P

Now... I need to call the friendly FWC inspector and get a tag for the trailer. Since I'm on @#$%#$ on-call until who-knows-when, I'll probably won't be able to splash until two or three weeks from now. I just hope it isn't too cold then here! :P

Troutlet
Active Poster
Active Poster

Close

Post by Troutlet »

Well look at you!! You are VERY close now. The engine looks good, and I'll bet it feels good having it all assembled now.

In my opinion, go ahead and fillet the console down. You'd be pissed if you hit a wave and put a bunch of weight on the concole and it seperated 8O .

Oh and I uh outbid you on that helm. WHy? just because I'm jealous cause mines not done yet.
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

:lol: just kidding about the ebay thing :lol: :lol:

CHarris
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CHarris »

She's looking good Doc. You should be very proud of yourself, you've done one heck of a job on her. :D :D

I would go ahead and put a fillet and fiberglass tape around the console unless you plan on removing it in the future.

I never realized all of the little things at the end that needs to be installed. I've spent the last two days finishing the wiring on mine. All I need now is a battery and she's ready to go. Hurricane Ivan and the aftermath kind of slowed me down.

Make sure to take plenty of pictures when you put her in the water!!!

Chris

JimW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by JimW »

Yes tape the console. Everyone leans on it when they hit a wave. Console take quite a beating. Tape it and it'll be fine. Omit the tape and it is a matter of time before cracks would start. Happened to me in more minor areas than the console.
Jim Wright
CC, D15, SC16, C19

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

I will second the other's comments regarding taping the console to the sole. In a small boat, one usually doesn't have a leaning post. When driving the boat, the console takes a lot of stress just from the driver holding on.

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Well...today the most friendly Florida Wildlife Commission Officer came around and did his part of the registration of my boat. I train their rookie recruits (Not in boating though! :P ) - and I work with them on occasion, so I know most of them by sight at least.

I ended up explaining to him how I had built it. He thought it was a fiberglass boat when he first saw it and was amazed. He said, he didn't think it would be THAT good when we made out the appointment for him to come over and inspect a home built boat. Ah..and the boat is 16'5" long!

In the end, the "inspection" lasted about 1.5 hours of chatting about boats! :P - Being European, it drives tears to my eyes when I see how simple such a thing can be! :P :P :P

I must really say, I truly, truly love Florida. I love this area with all my heart, especially the pan handle. It's a great state! - And tomorrow, I'll gladly dish out my taxes/registration fees! :P

P.S.
OK...I'll FG tape the console down! ;)

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

There is something else I want to add. It was a question about modifications I received via email and what I thought I'd do different if I were to do it again.

As to 'modifications' - I must be honest with you. Until you actually build the boat, you don't realize how well thought out the bateau.com designs are. Any modification will undoubtedly complicate things in this regards, rather than keep it simple. For example, the marine foam filled into the keel box is really simple, and I really wouldn't try to do it any different. Actually, I should've filled the foam through holes in the sole (as per plans), rather than fill it up between the stringers and then sand it down...that was messy.

The ONLY thing I regret is that I didn't experiment with fillets before I started building. I wasted a tremendous amount of epoxy on the huge fillets I initially made. My tip: Fillets aren't what holds the boat together. Their ONLY purpose is to provide curvature for the fiberglass tape to make the bend smoothly in corners. Instead of the 7.5 gallons of epoxy, I used about 12 gallons. Reason of course, my big fillets and for 'fixing' gaps, etc. due to my not so precise cuts. None of it you can see now, but ...it does get expensive to 'fix' things. This pretty much falls in line with the philosophy that changes to the designs will complicate things down the road.

I'm even happy now that I built the console to specs, i.e. smaller than what most folks build and are used to. A big console would just waste space that now I'm happy to have. The same goes for adding weight at the stern, either through heavy engines, baitwells, etc. - All of which, from what I've seen and heard from other builders change the handling of the boat, which has to be 'fixed' through trim tabs, dol-fins, etc. The same goes for putting the gas tank under the center console seat, as stated in plans. I'm happy now that I'm doing that. Weight for one thing, and of course I have storage space under the casting deck that others who put their gas tank their don't have (EvilD. for instance, who now added a locker between the console and the casting deck).

My sincere tip is to stick as closely to the design as possible and to approach the project from a 'clean slate' (i.e. forget your prior 'experience' in woodworking, fiberglass, etc.). Jacques Mertens, even though he acts like an artist with an attitude at times (I still luv u, Jacques :P ), knows what he is doing. At least from my standpoint, I love the OD16 design...so, don't mess with it! :P

So, my tip: Chose the boat you want that comes with the design features and freedoms you want as described per designer. Don't take a "simple work-boat" design and try to make a ocean going fishing cruiser out of it. A simple change like making the console 6" wider will take away space in a boat like the OD16, which then will make you realize...that that is the space you could've used for stretching out in and taking a nap - or for that overnight fishing trip.

attownsend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by attownsend »

Looks awesome Doc!! 8) :D 8O . Evild.
If it ain't Boeing,I ain't going.Evild

odras
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by odras »

Doc, looks fantastic! One thing concerns me though, I thought I heard someone say that they would gladly pay the fees and taxes?

Must be another one of those viscous internet rumors!

All kidding aside, she looks great! and please let us know how she does on the water.

Bill
Take your kid fishing!

attownsend
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by attownsend »

odras wrote:Doc, looks fantastic! One thing concerns me though, I thought I heard someone say that they would gladly pay the fees and taxes?

Must be another one of those viscous internet rumors!

All kidding aside, she looks great! and please let us know how she does on the water.

Bill

Yea, And I own property in Atlantis.Evild :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it ain't Boeing,I ain't going.Evild